Q&A Installing durarock for wall protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I was happy to discover your website and found the posted information quite informative. I had had several questions- two of which were answered in your digest and the chimneys information.I will be installing my old Vermont Castings Intrepid in a new house. After a year of deliberation- I finally decided on a location for the stove and found that it will need a chimney about 30 feet high; this chimney will consist of insulated stovepipe. From the information in your files- draft should be no problem. I will be protecting the wall and bookcases to the side of the stove with Durarock. The stove will be placed on a tile bed. The stove had heated my home office and will be heating the home office in my new house as well. We always joked that "log on" had two meanings in my house. Have I interpreted your information properly in regard to installing the wood stove?

Answer:

Yes- but the durarock must be installed spaced at least one inch off the walls with a ventilated air space. Get ahold of the stove's manual (contact your local dealer) to confirm the clearances required<p>
You also may want to read the HearthNet articles relating to Wall and Floor Protection in our informational area (link below)

Link: Wood Stove Clearances

Status
Not open for further replies.