Installing Class A Pipe 24" from the exterior wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxintheWoods

Oct 24, 2016
VT
Hi everyone; I've found these forums (been a lurker) to be a great source of very helpful advice as to choosing a wood stove and install it along with piping. I have a question though about something I couldn't quite find an answer on.

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone has advice as to how to install a triple-wall insulated stovepipe installed to go through the exterior wall of a house with a 18" overhang without cutting through the eave. I cut a hole and ran indoor black pipe into it and attached a 24" triple-wall pipe through the wall thimble to connect between the exterior triple-wall pipe and the interior black pipe (which gives me about 18" of the 24" triple-wall pipe I installed horizontally sticking out of the wall into the T connector piece. I propped the T on a makeshift and temporary stand until I can figure out what to do next. The stove pipe comes out of the wall at around 6' from the base of the house, leaving about 1' to the start of the eave overhanging eave. There's 2' clearance between the stovepipe and the overhang. Since I'm about 18" out from the wall, I can't just screw in the brackets that came with the stove but will probably have to create some custom brackets? Also, since I only about 24" from the top of the first floor and 12" from where the overhang reaches, I'm unable to put the pipe brackets on the wall (I had no other choice but to go through the wall on the roof slant side) so would one roof extension bracket suffice? I have 3 36" triple-wall pipes I intend to use so I'm concerned with a big wind toppling over my stovepipe.

I'm wondering if others have had to do something modified like this. A few miles down the road I saw a cabin with what look like they had their T pipe out at least 12" from the exterior wall and they screwed the brackets into two boards that made up the difference in distance. Any help would be appreciated in finding a solution to this peculiar install.

This came up a couple weeks ago. 24" is a very large extension from the building. Supports would all need to be custom. I think I would install it conventionally by using standard brackets and cutting a hole in the eave, run the pipe up through the hole then flash the chimney. Or try to figure a straight up through the house installation.

I agree I would go through the eave if you cant go straight up through the house That will be a very long horizontal run if you do it the way you are proposing

Thanks for the replies. I know that it will be a long horizontal run and that it's always preferred to get the pipe to go as straight as possible, either through the house or up the wall, but I really don't want to go through the eave which has a very steep slope and I already committed to doing the 24" horizontal pipe. As long as it's possible to get it done safely and securely using this method I would like to do it that way. A straight through the house install would not be possible in my cabin given the unique way it was designed as it would mess with the structural integrity of the second floor. I already went through the wall so I'm looking to find out the best way to support the pipe outside that will go around the eave.

I was thinking of taking two 1" thick boards and screwing the brackets into the boards which I would screw into the wall for the 18" that the horizontal pipe is sticking out but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience doing something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.