Installing chimney thru the roof....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

inspector

Hearth Supporter
Oct 19, 2009
Michigan
I'm going to start this week on installing the pipe thru the roof. It's 6 inch triple wall. I need to know is there a special adaptor for scissors trusses? Or do I have to build a box that mounts from the ceiling inside the room and use a conventional type flange. ? It's the box where you go from single wall above the stove to the attachment to the 3 wall pipe.

the inspector

[quote author="inspector" date="1256582882"]I'm going to start this week on installing the pipe thru the roof. It's 6 inch triple wall. I need to know is there a special adaptor for scissors trusses? Or do I have to build a box that mounts from the ceiling inside the room and use a conventional type flange. ? It's the box where you go from single wall above the stove to the attachment to the 3 wall pipe. <>

Ceiling support boxes are designed to be mounted on or to the ceiling joists...
There is no special design for trussed construction...
You will hafta frame a small opening between the lower cross members to secure the support box...
If you think you need to cut ANY part of the truss to install your support box, your local building inspector
will probably red-tag your project unless you have an architect/engineer sign off on the modification
to an "Engineered Truss" system...

Status
Not open for further replies.