Installing Chimney/Stove Pipe - Sealing or Screwing Between Sections?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurnIt13

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jun 10, 2010
Central MA
Hello all, another question for ya. Is it common practice, or even necessary to screw the stovepipe or chimney sections together? Do you use some type of high temp sealant as well? Just want to get all my ducks in a row.... Thanks!

I should mention that I plan to use Metal-Fab Double Wall stuff. It looks like all of thier parts "twist-lock" together.

If you're going by the book, there should be three screws per joint, staggering the vertical seams with one screw between the two seams. I also like to seal the joints with stove gasket cement. Be sure to leave at least one joint w/o the sealant so you can get the darn thing apart!

That was where I was going with this.....sealant wouldn't be too fun if I ever had to take it apart. But then again, I should never need to take it apart right? :)

And I imagine I'd have to use a screw that isn't too long that it would go through the inner wall.

cmonSTART said:
It depends on the installation. A few you can clean properly without taking it apart, but a lot of them you have to at least remove the stove pipe.

Oh I thought you were talking about repairs and such. I'll be installing a telescoping double wall stove pipe at the stove to facilitate cleaning. Its a straight up and out installation and the pitch of the roof is too steep to acess the top of the chimney. It'll be fun cleaning it from the bottom.

You'll need screws in the stovepipe, no screws in the chimney pipe, usually. I am not familiar with your brand of chimney, but most twist together and need no screws. Nothing stopping you from drilling some holes and putting in screws, but it isn't usually done in most chimney brands. I speak mostly of Metalbestos and the like. I personally do not put any sealant between the sections of pipe, but every installation is a little different so that is not a hard rule.

SteveKG said:
You'll need screws in the stovepipe, no screws in the chimney pipe, usually. I am not familiar with your brand of chimney, but most twist together and need no screws. Nothing stopping you from drilling some holes and putting in screws, but it isn't usually done in most chimney brands. I speak mostly of Metalbestos and the like.

Is it still wise to put some sort of cement or sealant between the joints? If so...can anyone reccoment a particular brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.