Installing a used fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

whatnot

Sep 27, 2019
WI
I am thinking about buying a used fireplace to replace a free standing Vermont Castings stove. The existing stove came with the house. I pulled it out to remodel. Right now there is just a square metal box on the ceiling with 6" chimney in center. The single wall pipe from the old stove went straight up into it.
I would prefer to change to a regular built in fireplace. Is it possible to reuse the existing chimney or would it all have to be replaced?
Here are some pictures of one I was looking at: https://photos.app.goo.gl/zwYwJufD2cxTmea46
The other fireplace I found forsale is a Heatilator A42C I think.
I know this style of fireplace is not efficient, just would be for occasional use.

If you have me $200 I would pick up your used Heatilator and deliver to the dump on your behalf. Not only inefficient, they were not top tier high quality units when new, and they have been out of business for a while. This is a really bad idea.

What is your plan B?

Reactions: blacktail
No, the fireplace will need a larger diameter chimney. Typically they need an 8-10" flue. Also, the location may not line up correctly. You would need to tear out the existing chimney system completely and replace it with the chimney pipe specified in the manual. However, this is not a Heatilator A42C. It's not even a Heatilator. It is an old El Fuego fireplace and the chimney pipe it needs may no longer be available. Pass on it.

What is the Vermont Castings stove model? Can you post a picture?

Last edited:
The pictures were not of the heatilator, they were of a 2nd fireplace I couldn't identify. I didn't post any pics of the heatilator.

Ok, that is what I as kind of thinking which is why I did not buy anything yet.
Is there any type of fireplace that could use the existing chimney? It was in the corner of the room so I would build a wall across the corner that would line the pipe up with a fireplace.

I will try to get some pictures of the Vermont Casting stove.

OP, what wood stoves with a glass door can you use with the chimney you have?

What is the goal, a fireplace for ambiance without regard to heating or heating with a fire view? If the goal is heat with a view then a modern stove can provide that at a lower and simpler installation cost.

Sounds like a tear out of the existing chimney will be required if it's 6" and then start with new chimney per fireplace spec.

Ok, since it sounds like the fireplaces I came across are no good, I am not sure what I will do.
What I want is something that looks at least somewhat like a traditional open fireplace and built in, not a free standing stove.
I do not intend to try heating the house with it and want to keep the cost low.

What should I be looking at? (if it makes any difference, I would be building a wall across the corner of the room for it and the existing chimney has a box out of the corner of the room above it about 3' x 3', then out through the roof..

The simplest and lowest cost would be to put in a freestanding woodstove with a nice fireview.