Installing a T support

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cahermit

Jan 15, 2017
California
Ordered a 6" Champion Tee Support (https://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimney/Champion-Chimney-System-Parts/6-Champion-Tee-Support) and the manufacturer's installation instructions are extremely vague and appear to be talking only about the standoff supports (not the T support). Searching online, I couldn't find anything for this specific T, but I'm seeing other T's being installed upside down (triangle supports on the top side)?
My questions are-
1) The T is supposed to be installed as shown in the picture (triangle supports on the bottom), upside down from the picture (supports on top), or does it matter?
2) Should the T slide fully into the support, with the T resting on the flat portion, or does that matter (so long as the clamp is tightened)?

Ordered a 6" Champion Tee Support (https://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimney/Champion-Chimney-System-Parts/6-Champion-Tee-Support) and the manufacturer's installation instructions are extremely vague and appear to be talking only about the standoff supports (not the T support). Searching online, I couldn't find anything for this specific T, but I'm seeing other T's being installed upside down (triangle supports on the top side)?
My questions are-
1) The T is supposed to be installed as shown in the picture (triangle supports on the bottom), upside down from the picture (supports on top), or does it matter?
2) Should the T slide fully into the support, with the T resting on the flat portion, or does that matter (so long as the clamp is tightened)?
It can be installed either way. And it can be placed at any point on the tee even above the horizontal.

Reactions: cahermit
Perfect, that was my assumption... but I hate going on assumptions.
I did, however, deduce that you can't put the tee flush on the top because there's a strap there.

I do wonder why in the world they would put the supports at 14" OC when most framing is 16" OC.
Thanks for the reply.

Perfect, that was my assumption... but I hate going on assumptions.
I did, however, deduce that you can't put the tee flush on the top because there's a strap there.

I do wonder why in the world they would put the supports at 14" OC when most framing is 16" OC.
Thanks for the reply.
They made it so it hits the framing of the hole for the pass through.

That still seems silly for a retrofit. I can see a new construction framing in the thimble with a full length 2x (like a king stud), but for a retrofit, in order to avoid removing the covering for the whole wall, it makes more sense to leave the original 16" OC spacing and just block the bottom and top of the frame for the thimble.
Even if you double up the verticals for the thimble, you'd have to extend it above or below the horizontal blocking in order to provide for the tee support... and, again, remove more wall.

That still seems silly for a retrofit. I can see a new construction framing in the thimble with a full length 2x (like a king stud), but for a retrofit, in order to avoid removing the covering for the whole wall, it makes more sense to leave the original 16" OC spacing and just block the bottom and top of the frame for the thimble.
Even if you double up the verticals for the thimble, you'd have to extend it above or below the horizontal blocking in order to provide for the tee support... and, again, remove more wall.
Doing it 16 oc would only work if you were centered in a stud bay. When i retro fit i cut the hole cut out any studs in the way cutting them up and down atleast 3" run doubles 2xs between the remaining studs then my uprights. If i do it that way i place the support above the snout and anchor to my uprights with the supports beside the snout. No removing of finish wall inside or out.

Yeah, I'm picturing centering it in a stud bay. :)
Then again, I'm in California, where we legally insist on doing everything the hard and expensive way. ;)

Yeah, I'm picturing centering it in a stud bay. :)
Then again, I'm in California, where we legally insist on doing everything the hard and expensive way. ;)
If you can do that 16 oc would be great. But i do lots of installs and that rarely happens