Installation Questions-Insulated liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mike508

Jul 17, 2017
MA
Hi Everyone,

I had an installer come by for installing a blaze king insert. I asked if he could do an insulated liner and this was his answer:

"No, it will not fit. You only have a standard hole (which i thought he said was 7" but not sure) and the insulated liner is 7" and any imperfections in the chimney and it will not fit"

Does this make sense?

Thanks,
Mike

What is the ID of the chimney, 7" x 11"? If so, that is correct for a 6" round liner. Duraliner makes an insulated oval liner for this situation that may work. It's 4 3/4" x 7 3/4".

Many 8 x 8 Clay Flue tiles are any where from 7" to 6.25" on the inside, you may have one of these, or you could have a 7" round Clay Flue liner.
A 6" pre-insulated liner will be 7.25" on the outside and a 6" liner wrapped with 1/2" blanket can be as much as 7.75" with the overlap.
and most clay lined chimneys will have some imperfections in them from the tiles being off set, so he could be correct.

Not sure how to get the ID of the chimney. When i look up the fireplace it has a big metal damper that can open and close but it is square and blocks my view of any chimney opening even when open. Maybe with a flashlight i could see something but definitely not accessible to measure. Roof is not accessible except by a really big ladder and then i would need another ladder on the roof to climb up and look down (too dangerous).

Call up the installer and ask for the actual interior dimension of the clay liner in the chimney. Ask if installing a Duraliner oval liner is an option.

He is right an insulated round 6" liner will not fit. I am assuming it is a rectangle liner probably somewhere around 7x11 inside. But he is wrong that an insulated liner cant be installed you can either get an oval flex liner either preinsulated or insulate it on site or the duraliner bg referenced. Or you can remove the tiles and fit a round 6" insulated

I wrote him and he said it was a 8x12. Said he did not measure the ID but thought it was ~7 and that the 6" liner with insulation was "7 and change".

That's what I thought it might be. Duraliner oval would work if It's a straight shot down.