Installation process

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jorswift

Jan 25, 2016
Indiana
so my daughter was home sick from school for 2 days and I got bored while hanging around the house, so I started into my wood stove install project. I hope I have done everything correct from reading on here. I used Supervent class A from ceiling up.

I tore out the old factory pos and removed the old liner. I did however keep 2 5’ sections of the old liner as it was 11” and used that as my guide up the chase. All clearances of 2” have been met and exceeded. Now just waiting on some finishing parts to arrive. I have temporarily sealed the ceiling with foam board until I can finish the walls and ceiling.

I don’t need anything special for the chimney in the chase?

Attachments

• Installation process
    3A3BD4AB-2C98-4F49-95A1-DE4C5BA9C2D6.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 151
  • Installation process
    B2F827EB-DFC3-49C8-B800-0A232629463A.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 136
  • Installation process
    584F5724-B8D8-4334-8C26-BC1C6BA94101.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 161
  • Installation process
    28026A7F-19B7-4A77-8A87-9A6469C0400E.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 154
  • Installation process
    351199D9-5C4F-49CC-AF95-A09108199ABE.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 172
  • Installation process
    D4F945E7-4655-4800-9680-5BB98EB2B3E3.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 144
Reactions: Woody Stover
What is between the top of the stove & the ceiling? I think you said Class A from the ceiling up, but it looks like from fireplace up? Our almost 25 year old prefab fireplace has class A right from the fireplace all the way to the cap - the class A screwed right onto the fireplace breach. Added supports where it passed through joist spaces. Otherwise, behind it looks a lot like yours does - just bare pipe in a studded & wall boarded space.

What is between the top of the stove & the ceiling? I think you said Class A from the ceiling up, but it looks like from fireplace up? Our almost 25 year old prefab fireplace has class A right from the fireplace all the way to the cap - the class A screwed right onto the fireplace breach. Added supports where it passed through joist spaces. Otherwise, behind it looks a lot like yours does - just bare pipe in a studded & wall boarded space.

The old was Majestic 8" stainless chimney liner and 11" galvanized air shield? or something. When I removed the fireplace the stainless sections just came right down. The 11" galvanized outer is fastened the top of the chase, so I left the 2 top pieces, since I couldn't reach them and used them as a brace/guide for the new Supervent Class A that I ran up. I spoke with an old Majestic rep and he said that the outer 11" pipe draws in the outside air to cool the inside. Since this is still up, hoping it still helps I guess for piece of mind.

The old was Majestic 8" stainless chimney liner and 11" galvanized air shield? or something. When I removed the fireplace the stainless sections just came right down. The 11" galvanized outer is fastened the top of the chase, so I left the 2 top pieces, since I couldn't reach them and used them as a brace/guide for the new Supervent Class A that I ran up. I spoke with an old Majestic rep and he said that the outer 11" pipe draws in the outside air to cool the inside. Since this is still up, hoping it still helps I guess for piece of mind.

Might just be me but still not sure what you have connecting the stove to the chimney? If it is anything but Class A you might not be able to chase it in like that, by code. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Might just be me but still not sure what you have connecting the stove to the chimney? If it is anything but Class A you might not be able to chase it in like that, by code. Maybe someone else will chime in.

I don't have anything from stove to chimney yet. I have yet to put the stove in. The pics are the old fireplace that I took out.

I am going to use double wall stove pipe from stove to chimney though, when I get to that part.