Installation of a Lennox Country 260 in a raised fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maynardb

Nov 19, 2016
Monroe,NY
Hi,
I'm buying a used Lennox Country 260 and have a few questions for the pros. The fireplace has adequate depth and width and height, but dimension F in figure 6, on page 7 and warnings on page 8 of the installation manual concern me. There is a hearth extension reduction calculation (1) on page 7 that seems to say that I can reduce the hearth extension 2" for 2" of height off the floor. Since I'm 7" off the floor, does this mean that I can reduce the hearth extension by 14"? I want this installation to be by the book and it lists a minimum hearth extension length of 16" in front of the door for US installations. My fireplace has a 14" step that is raised about 7" off the floor. With the front of the insert extending 6 1/2 " past the backing plate that rests against the fireplace brick, that leaves about 7 1/2" of hearth protection in front of the stove. While it is raised 7 " off of the floor, I'm still not sure it meets the minimum requirements according to the manual. My question is am I reading this spec incorrectly? I like this stove and at $500 for a stove that costs over $2,500 new, I see it as a great deal if I can use it in my application. I've included the manual and picture of where the insert will be going for reference
Thanks,
Bruce

Attachments

• Lennox_Hearth_LegacyC260_Installation_775210M.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 211
  • Installation of a Lennox Country 260  in a raised fireplace
    Fireplace in home.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
The Country 260 is a good heater and that is a nice price if it is in good condition.

I would plan on extending the hearth, with ember protection only at the floor level. Heat will not be an issue with the 7" elevation, but there still is a distinct risk of hot embers popping out and landing on the carpet. The floor level extension should extend the hearth 16-18" in front of the stove door. It just needs to be non-combustible A sheet of metal or tempered glass would work as long as it is secured in place to stay butted up against the masonry hearth.

Last edited:
Good luck! Double-check your measurements first. The 260 is a big honking stove. Take pics if you get it.

PS: is this the C260 insert or the S260 freestander?

Status
Not open for further replies.