Installation issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bapa323

Jan 21, 2022
Tower City Pa
After a long time shopping, I finally bought a wood stove. I got a Vermont Castings Encore. It's 3 years old and in perfect condition. Hardly used at all.
My problem now is I can't find anyone to install it. None of the dealers in my area will take the job. (I suspect they are sulking over not getting the sale) None of my local roofing contractors will do it.
Who else can I turn to? I don't have the confidence to do it myself.

That was great advice! I did a Google search and found a local guy that has very good reviews and replied to me on a Sunday.
I have to wait until next month for his schedule but at least I'll have wood heat this winter!
That's good news. Good heat will require fully seasoned firewood already stacked and split.

Don’t wait on getting the wood up. Do it yesterday! Wet wood will give you a miserable experience.

Reactions: Bapa323
I have 2 cords of Locust that's been split 2 years. Got 2 more on order. Should be good for this winter and my oak will be dry by next winter.
That's a start. With oak, locust, and hickory it's good to get a few seasons ahead.

That's a start. With oak, locust, and hickory it's good to get a few seasons ahead.
Having never heated with wood I don't know how much I'll use. I've read 3 cords is a fair estimate. I'm starting there with my planning. My home is very highly insulated and sealed. I only used one tank of oil a year. Not 1 a winter, one a year. I fill it every Feb.
One of my concerns was having too much heat with the stove. I'm still very excited to use it this winter.

None of the dealers in my area will take the job. (I suspect they are sulking over not getting the sale)
If you contact additional contractors, tell them that you will not hold them responsible for the stoves performance, those VC's are not highly regarded in the wood stove community (poorly designed with expensive and fragile refractory parts), VC has made strides for a better product, but that was post 2020.

If you contact additional contractors, tell them that you will not hold them responsible for the stoves performance, those VC's are not highly regarded in the wood stove community (poorly designed with expensive and fragile refractory parts), VC has made strides for a better product, but that was post 2020.
Can you explain what refractory parts are? What should I inspect and look for?

Just type in your stoves name in the search function and read away

The refractory parts are the rear secondary combustion components made of ceramic refractory material. The older versions could crumble in 2-3 yrs under regular 24/7 heating. The newer refractory is tougher, so hopefully, it will last10 yrs. between replacement. We'll see. Look in the manual for a parts breakdown. The 2N1 flexburn models also can have a catalyst, which is another service point.