Q&A Install wood stove in modified prefab fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Hi, I have a martin fireplace# SC36MBthat is worthless. It is inside a boxed in wall in the center of my house, the area inside the walls is six feet wide and 22 inches deep... I want to buy the Lopi wood insert ( FREEDOM ). I know that it can't be used with my Martin, But I was thinking ......... What if I removed all of the Martin and made a steel enclosure and then laid a fire brick to proper dimensions..... Could I then install the Freedom? Has this been done before?

Answer:

And, you didn't mention anything about chimney/flue. Chances are that the previous installation used a triple-wall thermosyphon type which is not suitable for use with a wood stove. You need a UL-listed 2100 degree high temp chimney system from bottom to top. Watch your clearances where the flue passes through floors or the roof. Basically Gene, you're turning a fireplace installation into a wood stove alcove.I highly recommend that you check with Travis/Lopi regarding required clearances sizes for alcoves. You must C.Y.A. Sorry to be so negative, but this is the hard truth. The good news is that you have a good product. With a little hard work and guidance, you'll be in business before the snow flies.

Status
Not open for further replies.