Install with Duravent DVL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Woody73

Sep 5, 2024
Illinois
I am now in the process of installing my Stove and am a bit confused when it comes to connecting the DVL double wall pipe to the through the wall chimney kit and to the stove the first picture is all the pieces I received in the kit that seem to be for the connection to the chimney, I think I am missing a piece for DVL but not entirely sure? All I have used previously was single wall pipe so this is all new to me. Also in the second picture is the adapter I bought to connect to the collar on the stove which is a very loose fit, not snug like a single wall pipe would be, the pipe is 6 inch like it’s supposed to be, I’m pretty confused at this point not knowing if I’m missing something or just not doing something right, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Install with Duravent DVL
    IMG_7288.webp
    99.5 KB · Views: 12
  • [Hearth.com] Install with Duravent DVL
    IMG_7289.webp
    55.4 KB · Views: 12
What kind of chimney are you attaching to? Is it a Duravent class A (Selkirk stainless double wall manufactured chimney)? If so, you would use a Stove Pipe Adapter. It has a 1/4 turn thread type lock on one end and is crimped on the other end. The crimped end inserts into your double wall stove pipe and is then wrapped with a finishing band.

If the DVL pipe fits better into the stove collar than the adapter does, you can connect the stove pipe directly to the collar. There is nothing wrong with that.

All the DVL I have purchased fits together more loosely that the single wall I used in the past. Once it is screwed together it is solid, but I wonder about leaky joints.

Please take some pictures of your chimney inlet... what you are trying to connect to. I only have experience connecting to a Class A chimney but others can help if you provide more pictures.

I have heard Selkirk phone support is great. Their documentation is not so great, though.

[Hearth.com] Install with Duravent DVL [Hearth.com] Install with Duravent DVL

Is this still with DuraPlus chimney pipe? If so, is there a short section coming off of the tee through the DuraPlus thimble and into the room? At that point, the stainless collar should fit into the interior end of the DuraPlus thimble. This acts as the inside transition piece to the DVL.

The stove may not need the DVL adapter to connect to the stove. It's too loose for flue collars that are 6" ID. For some stoves, the DVL sits snugly, directly on the flue collar. This is the way our stove is connected. Measure and test the fit before installing the adapter.

Ok, in the first picture you have 2 different stovepipe adapters from duravent. The SS one is the old style that goes with dura-plus. The all black one pushes into dura-tech and the trim ring slides over it and secures to the pipe with the provided screws. Both adapters may work with dura plus, I’m not sure though. We don’t work with the plus as it’s a box store product.
The stove top adapter is sloppy on most stoves. You can add some gasket material to help.

I think this install is with DuraPlus based on previous posting. DVL fits nice and snugly into a lot of modern stove flue collars. I'd return the adapter for credit if that is the case.

I think this install is with DuraPlus based on previous posting. DVL fits nice and snugly into a lot of modern stove flue collars. I'd return the adapter for credit if that is the case.
The dvl stove top adapter does not fit snug usually. We don’t often use it for that reason.

The dvl stove top adapter does not fit snug usually. We don’t often use it for that reason.
Agreed. I don't use it. Unfortunately, they put their key damper in the adapter section instead of a standard 6" section of DVL. I pulled it out and put it into a regular section.

Reactions: webby3650