Install Underway

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yooper08

Minister of Fire
Jan 4, 2016
South Lyon, MI
Well finally the installation of the Century insert is underway. A little later than I wanted but it's when the installers were available and is what it is. Wish I had it now though as it's 5* outside.

Last night one of the crew came and did a final site review to finalize the game plan. This afternoon they spent trying to cut out a portion of the heatilator firebox and damper. Needless to say it's definitely in good shape, many blades were gone through and various saws attempted the hack. They will be back in the AM with some more blades!

Tomorrow will also be the actual install with an insulated flue. Can't wait. Have family coming in for an early Christmas weekend Saturday, so don't know if I'll have enough time to get all my break in fires in so we all can enjoy it.

I think my better half was skeptical at first (even though she agreed to let me do the project) but she found out last week a friend of hers has a wood stove, and she raved about it to my wife, so I think she's looking forward to what this thing will do.

Will post pics as I can.

Don't need a series of breakin fires with a steel stove. Should be good to go by the time guests arrive!

Yes, no breakin fires needed but you will need to bake in the paint before company arrives and it will be a bit smokey and smelly. Tell the family to go out shopping, build a decent sized fire and have a fan in a window to exhaust the fumes.

Reactions: webby3650
An initial small, kindling burn will help drive moisture out of the firebrick. After that, with a steel stove, go for it.

Cast iron and soapstone.

Current state so far. Two side cuts and bottom cut are done on the metal firebox. The top cut still needs to be done and there might be a second top cut with the way this one was built (the top of the metal firebox angles to the back wall at the top).

Attachments

• Install Underway
    IMG_1855.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 289
Wow they couldn't notch the box out in an afternoon? That really is an hour long job at most.

Reactions: webby3650
An initial small, kindling burn will help drive moisture out of the firebrick. After that, with a steel stove, go for it.
Get it hotter curing the paint in than you will get it once the company arrives...don't want to gass 'em. :oops:
Can't wait. Have family coming in for an early Christmas weekend Saturday, so don't know if I'll have enough time to get all my break in fires in so we all can enjoy it.
Ah, you'll git 'er done in time. I can see it all now...singing christmas carols and drinking eggnog in front of the blazing yule log, which lights the Christmas tree with a warm glow...a Norman Rockwell moment for sure! :)
I think my better half was skeptical at first (even though she agreed to let me do the project) but she found out last week a friend of hers has a wood stove, and she raved about it to my wife, so I think she's looking forward to what this thing will do.
Yep. If nothing else, they usually come around once they feel that blessed heat. >>

Reactions: yooper08
Run out and get a bag of roxal insulation , have the installers stuff the roxal up just past the heatilator once the liner is installed, also fab a block off plate with simple sheet metal and attach that to the top of the heatilator, that little extra detail will pay you back 10x by allowing the insert to run a little longer, heat up faster, reduce heavy coal build up, send more heat out into the living space rather than up the chimney being absorbed into the masonry.

Yeah, the side cuts were easy, it was the cross cuts that gave them problems and breaking blades. They weren't too happy with the slow progress.
That is why we use a grinder for those cuts

Reactions: Squisher
Cutoff wheels on a grinder are what I used.

Good luck with it all. Hope they get it sorted for you.

Kenny, absolutely, I'll be putting in a block off plate...that's within my pay grade. This other stuff, nope. The fireplace opening and the size of the stove, it will be pretty easy for me to get in there once they're done.

The cutting was finished and the liner is dropped in, lunch time now. The metal firebox was made in a way that it formed its own smoke shelf, no masonry or sand. Based on what they normally see around here, this was a bit unusual to them. You can see behind the iron they cut out is more steel.

Attachments

• Install Underway
    IMG_1859.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 189
Based on what they normally see around here, this was a bit unusual to them. You can see behind the iron they cut out is more steel.
yeah that is what i deal with a lot good cutting wheels go right through it.

Gotcha. Well either way, they got the job done. The top cuts were a lot easier it seems.

Here it is with the first fire (after I let a kindling fire go out). Had 6 splits to start loaded log cabin style to get a hot burn to get the paint cured. Added a few more splits afterwards to just enjoy. It stunk but not overpowering really, just let the bathroom fan run nearby. Basement went from 54 to 68 in no time. Eventually I'll load it up and start testing moving heat upstairs and how successful that will be. For now, I'm going to learn it first with smaller fires and focus on keeping the basement comfortable. So far seems very controllable even with a flue that's just shy of 27'.

There are some tweaks that I need to make, both with the surround. Need to put the hack saw to a vent cover that is in the way. I also need to adjust the surround as it doesn't want to sit right. That'll take some tinkering.

Attachments

• Install Underway
    IMG_1861.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 218
Your heatilator looks very close to the one I have. Just curious - were the installer's pros? I have the same structure, 1/4" steel firebox that slants up and in towards the living room, and 1/4" steel smoke shelf that angles up and toward the damper and room. I can see that if I cut the smoke shelf out, there will still be a 1/8" steel surround that angles up to the chimney (like yours).

a. My installer doesn't want to remove the entire smoke shelf, only wants to torch out an ~12 inch oval (for the six" insulted liner).
b. Since I want to add a layer of stone over the existing brick in the room, he doesn't think the back of the fireplace will have to be notched.
c. Did they install a block-off plate for the liner after you took that picture?
d. From the picture I couldn't tell, no insulation on the liner?

Does anyone see a problem with stoning over the old heatilator vents in this case (steel inner firebox, steel outer box, brick and masonry surrounding the steel outer box, exterior brick chimney/flue (with new 6" insert 1/2" inch insulated wrap) (i.e. this in not a modern zero clearance heatilator that is installed within framing)?

Your heatilator looks very close to the one I have. Just curious - were the installer's pros? I have the same structure, 1/4" steel firebox that slants up and in towards the living room, and 1/4" steel smoke shelf that angles up and toward the damper and room. I can see that if I cut the smoke shelf out, there will still be a 1/8" steel surround that angles up to the chimney (like yours).

a. My installer doesn't want to remove the entire smoke shelf, only wants to torch out an ~12 inch oval (for the six" insulted liner).
b. Since I want to add a layer of stone over the existing brick in the room, he doesn't think the back of the fireplace will have to be notched.
c. Did they install a block-off plate for the liner after you took that picture?
d. From the picture I couldn't tell, no insulation on the liner?

Does anyone see a problem with stoning over the old heatilator vents in this case (steel inner firebox, steel outer box, brick and masonry surrounding the steel outer box, exterior brick chimney/flue (with new 6" insert 1/2" inch insulated wrap) (i.e. this in not a modern zero clearance heatilator that is installed within framing)?
Go ahead and cover them up. No worries on this type of fireplace.

They were professionals and certified.

To answer your other questions:
a. Cut out only what you need to is my philosophy.
b. I would suggest understanding final dimensions if you're going to put a facade on. I'm going to do exactly what you're thinking, including covering up the vent openings...eventually.
c. I will be installing it.
d. I knew I'd get that question with that pic. It's there, just with the flash/lighting you can't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.