Install Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mike M.

Feeling the Heat
Mar 18, 2012
Green Bay, WI
Getting ready to install this 1400 in my up north man cave. I stripped and repainted the stove. It came with about a 5.5 foot peice of double wall pipe that telescopes. This telescope pipe will not reach my 10 foot ceiling. Can I come out of the stove with single wall then switch to double wall stove pipe up to the class A? There are no clearance problems with the single wall, I just want to save money and reuse parts that I have. Only paid $250 for the stove and double wall pipe...
8bc775b3fe95b58c64b61b1669fe529c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No you cannot. Since you got such a deal, buying a section of double wall should be affordable. What brand is it?

Last edited:
No idea what brand it is, definitely older but still in good shape. Is there a way to figure out the brand?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

No idea what brand it is, definitely older but still in good shape. Is there a way to figure out the brand?

Most double wall has a label on it. A picture would probably be recognizable by someone.

Most double wall has a label on it. A picture would probably be recognizable by someone.
I can look closer tomorrow. Is there any explanation as to why you "cannot" do this? Just curious why?

I can look closer tomorrow. Is there any explanation as to why you "cannot" do this? Just curious why?

Primarily because it’s a system that’s tested to be safe with their connections and clearances. I know you don’t care about clearances in this situation, but that’s how it’s tested. When you add other components to it now no one will stand behind it if you have a problem. Then you are presented with the problem with attaching this apparatus together, adding single wall to a double wall system shouldn’t be done and won’t be secure.

Primarily because it’s a system that’s tested to be safe with their connections and clearances. I know you don’t care about clearances in this situation, but that’s how it’s tested. When you add other components to it now no one will stand behind it if you have a problem. Then you are presented with the problem with attaching this apparatus together, adding single wall to a double wall system shouldn’t be done and won’t be secure.
Thanks this makes sense. I will probably just go single wall all the way and either recycle or save the double wall for a different project.

Sad to say, but you’d be better off with all single wall as long as it meets the 18” clearance requirements than mixing single wall into a double wall system.

So than the next question would be if I have a straight run of single wall do I need a telescoping section or can I slide it up the upper class A adapter enough to clear the stove collar insert and push it back down to complete the system with no telescoping peice?

Always add a telescoping piece. You’ll thank me later.

can I slide it up the upper class A adapter enough to clear the stove collar insert and push it back down to complete the system with no telescoping peice?

Exactly what I did. The overlap was still double the overlap of singlewall joints.

So than the next question would be if I have a straight run of single wall do I need a telescoping section or can I slide it up the upper class A adapter enough to clear the stove collar insert and push it back down to complete the system with no telescoping peice?

Get a slip section. They don't cost much and if you ever have to pull the pipe you will be happy. To me only having the top and bottom joint seated halfway is not acceptable.

Get a slip section. They don't cost much and if you ever have to pull the pipe you will be happy. To me only having the top and bottom joint seated halfway is not acceptable.

What is seated halfway? The bottom is seated fully and the overlap on the class A adapter is double the overlap of single wall joints. It can be a bit of a bugger to get the pipe in there because of the angle but it worked well for me. A slip is like 20 bucks so it can be worth it just for the easy factor.

I bought the single wall pipe today, decided to go that route. The price was was pretty low and it will be done to code and meet all clearances.

Had the stove setup for a few weeks now, works awesome. Finally got the time to post a picture today. Was supposed to be out riding ATVs but its cold and rainy although that usually doesn't stop me...
99d6c24dd44335d98fa6d4f9d98e22ef.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: