Install question on Pacific Energy Super insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsa0021

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 1, 2008
Ohio
The dealer installed my stove and they put two small metal plates under the center of the stove (under the air control) to level the stove front to back. I noticed two right angle plates just under each fan that are welded to the stove. I am wondering if these should have been used to level the stove instead of under the air control. The reason I ask is I have been having a terrible rattling noise whenever the fans are on. The noise changes as the stove heats up and cools down. The rattling isn't from the surround it's coming from the plates that secure the fans and from the metal that directs the air flow from the fans. I haven't heard of anyone else with noise issue like I have on this forum. I have a call into the dealer but I can't stop poking around while I wait on them.

bsa0021 said:
The dealer installed my stove and they put two small metal plates under the center of the stove (under the air control) to level the stove front to back. I noticed two right angle plates just under each fan that are welded to the stove. I am wondering if these should have been used to level the stove instead of under the air control. The reason I ask is I have been having a terrible rattling noise whenever the fans are on. The noise changes as the stove heats up and cools down. The rattling isn't from the surround it's coming from the plates that secure the fans and from the metal that directs the air flow from the fans. I haven't heard of anyone else with noise issue like I have on this forum. I have a call into the dealer but I can't stop poking around while I wait on them.

I have a Summit insert. So not sure its the same set up.
Mine came with 2 bolts that go through the rail to adjust it up & down. Why would the installer even put plates in the center, rather than the corners? makes no sense.

That's why I was asking. I wasn't sure if those "L" brackets were designed for leveling the stove or had some other use. My thinking was by leveling from the center is it causing the side panels to flex and create my vibration. This may be a long shot I don't know.

bsa0021 said:

My new Summit has the same type of noise with the fan running but my noise seems to be coming from the "cook top" area because when mine starts making noise, I put pressure on it, and that seems to change the sound. But it seems to get quieter the more I use it. I tried to tighten the 2 nuts and did not change it much. And my levelers (little L brackets) are on the outside edges and I just noticed they are not touching the hearth. Wonder if that is normal, only about 1" above the hearth, but 3" out of fireplace. They wont come down any more. Should this be any concern?

Maybe shipping tie downs?

My new Summit has the same type of noise with the fan running but my noise seems to be coming from the "cook top" area because when mine starts making noise, I put pressure on it, and that seems to change the sound. But it seems to get quieter the more I use it. I tried to tighten the 2 nuts and did not change it much. And my levelers (little L brackets) are on the outside edges and I just noticed they are not touching the hearth. Wonder if that is normal, only about 1" above the hearth, but 3" out of fireplace. They wont come down any more. Should this be any concern?

Maybe shipping tie downs?[/quote]

I'm not sure if the summit is made the same as the super but if your fans are on the side of the stove try taking the panels off that cover the fans and, with gloves, put your hand on the vents that direct the air flow (behind the fans). I thought my top was rattling also but it was actually these panels. My "L" brackets are welded to the side of the stove w/o levelers. If that's what these are for.

Any PE installers out there???

Yes my fan is on the right side and has a duct that blows over the top of the insert, I have not tried that yet, Hope someone knows if the L brackets need to be mounted to something or is the way we have them OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.