Install question - level or leaning back?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

We're_cooking!

Sep 11, 2023
Oregon
Question - Wood stove insert, Lopi. Looking at the installation, I see that the insert isn't level, but it is leaning back into the fireplace. Is this how it should be, or should it be level? Does it matter? We paid to have this installed as life is a bit crazy, but the work on other fronts of the install have been half-assed, and now I'm questioning everything. I don't want to make an issue of it if it isn't one, but if it is, I want to address it promptly.

It looks like the floor of the fireplace drops down inside of it vs the hearth? Am I seeing that right?

I doubt it would make much of a functional difference as long as the surround still fits as it should.

That said, I think I would have leveled the floor before putting the insert in there. If that stove drops off that lip, I think it’d be tough to remove without pulling bricks off your hearth.

Do you have a hearth extension ready?

It should be level. Is this the Lopi flush large insert? If so, there are two leveling bolts that are accessed under the bottom, two, rear, outside corner firebricks.

Will the hearth extension in front of the fireplace be rebuilt? It needs good insulation protection for that location. Per the manual:

FLUSH INSTALLATIONS (insert raised less than 7” above combustible floor):
The hearth must provide and R-value (thermal resistance) of 2.38 or greater. In the USA the hearth must extend a minimum 16” (407mm) in front of the fireplace insert and it must be 2” (51mm) above the surrounding combustible floor. In CANADA the hearth must extend a minimum 18” (458mm) in front of the fireplace insert must be 1” (25mm) above the surrounding combustible floor. The hearth must extend 8” (204mm) from both sides of the insert.

It should be level. Is this the Lopi flush large insert? If so, there are two leveling bolts that are accessed under the bottom, two, rear, outside corner firebricks.

Will the hearth extension in front of the fireplace be rebuilt? It needs good insulation protection for that location. Per the manual:

FLUSH INSTALLATIONS (insert raised less than 7” above combustible floor):
The hearth must provide and R-value (thermal resistance) of 2.38 or greater. In the USA the hearth must extend a minimum 16” (407mm) in front of the fireplace insert and it must be 2” (51mm) above the surrounding combustible floor. In CANADA the hearth must extend a minimum 18” (458mm) in front of the fireplace insert must be 1” (25mm) above the surrounding combustible floor. The hearth must extend 8” (204mm) from both sides of the insert.
Yes, the front extension will be rebuilt. When we purchased the house, the extension came out of 5 brick lengths (which took up a lot of space); they had a free-standing wood stove that sat one brick-level down in front of the fireplace (nested on brick level down), then the black stove pipe when up the chimney. We removed back to the original fireplace extension brick, but that is why the extension is messed up.

Yes, this is the Lopi Flush Large Insert. The damn thing is hooked up now, they were no-shows yesterday for the light-off. They'd have to drag this thing out of the fireplace to access the leveling feet. Do I make a stink about it?

My husband and I are DIY people, the reason we didn't take this project on is we both started new jobs at the same time, and I'm in school at night; between that and kids' activities, we have a lot of things going on, but this has been half ass job at every turn and I' regretting my decision.

They'd have to drag this thing out of the fireplace to access the leveling feet.

Personally, I'd want it to be level. The insert can stay in place, the levelers are accessed from the interior of the firebox. Figure 5 on page 12 of the manual shows how.

Reactions: EbS-P
Yes make a stink about it. You paid for something to be done that was done poorly.

Why do I suspect that that installer will be all booked up when you call him on it 🤔?

Booked is ok. There are months before burning. The longer it takes, the longer you have to think up a really long review with pictures to leave about them. Let them know about your plans to leave a long review if it’s not fixed quickly.