Install Passed by Homeowners Insurance Underwriter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ColdNorCal

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2018
Newcastle, Ca.
My current homeowners insurance raised rates ~40%. No doubt its due to all the fires in California last year. After a few phone calls I found the same coverage and at last years rate. I was happy with that and paid the money. A couple weeks later the new insurance company requested pics of my stove and put the insurance account as pending. Per their request I emailed them pics of the front, both sides, inside the fireplace where the wood stove flu goes into the existing chimney and the chimney pipe on the top of the roof.

The last few days were a bit stressful waiting for the Underwriters response. Fortunately, today the insurance company responded with a Reinstatement Notice.

Thank you all again for your help and guidance.

Last edited:
Glad it worked out ok. It's another reason to meet or exceed all requirements.

I understand your stress with insurance companies.

Years ago I had a huge increase in my homeowner policy because they started surcharging homes further than 500 feet from a fire hydrant. I contacted another Insurance company, explained the exact reason I was switching, and they quoted me a favorable rate. Two months later my new rates skyrocketed again since I was -- wait for it--- more than 500 feet from a hydrant <>.

I own an independent insurance agency. It's a frustrating industry. So many companies with differing opinions, requirements, etc.