Install Insert or Not

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

RickyTheStick

Oct 13, 2011
Montreal,QC,Canada
Hi guys, I have an old missionary wood burning fireplace, which is currently unusable because of a smoke chamber which has become a fire hazard due to creosote build up. We would like to do something about this, but an issue that we have is the fact that we plan on installing a unit in a family room which is about 230 square feet and is pretty much closed off to the rest of the house other than a doorway leading to a large kitchen. We do not want this room to become so hot that its uncomfortable.
A supplier came in yesterday and quoted $4,600.00 for the Regency Alterra 1250(with blower) with liner and cap as well as a couple of minor alterations to the bricks. I don't think we would need the blower considering the room size and the fact that the air would not escape easily.
Considering we would only want to use the fireplace for ambiance and not for heat, would it be better to forget the insert idea, and order new new steel doors that could seal and fixing the smoke chamber and liner?

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Install Insert or Not
    1.webp
    19 KB · Views: 411
    New Image.webp
    34.4 KB · Views: 416
    New Image1.webp
    10 KB · Views: 440
If you want heat, get an insert or stove. If you want ambiance, get the doors. How tall is that opening? You might be able to get a small freestanding stove set in there. If you get an insert, you definitely want the blower.

To get a nice arched set of doors that either fit inside that opening, or
slightly overlap, you're gonna be in the $1500 range. They'll be nice
looking, but you're not gonna make the fire place any more efficient,
as you'll hafta burn with the doors open, unless you get PyroCeram
instead of tempered glass. The PyroCeram will add about another $700...
Stoll Fireplace Doors is a sponsor here & they make a very durable product...
I don't think the Alterra will blow you out of that room, but it might be
nice to have a source of heat if you lose power & don't have a back up
generator...Your call...

Inserts are more "energy efficient" than an open fireplace by allot.
Looks like a big opening, insert or free standing wood stove would work.
"Catalytic" Insert or wood stove, clean burning & efficient :)
Nice wood stove in there would look real nice :)
My vote: "upgrade to a cat stove or insert"

$4600 is a LOT of ambiance in my household.

If the rest of the room is as cool as that fireplace here is what I would do. Get a free stander thet would fit in the box and have some heavy iron doors (2 doors, bi-fold)with strap hinges made by a smitty. You could even add some glass, but solid iron would be cool, medevil like. Doors would close over the stove when not in use and just pull back to fire it up. That's a cool looking fireplace. The thing with open fireplaces is that a few people enjoy them for ambinace, they are very ineffecient and suck everybit of warm air outta a room. A stove has heat and ambiance and the entire family just flocks to that area. All my TV's and computers are dowm stairs and the stove is on the main floor. I see more of my kids and family when I get a fire going than you can imagine. No distractions and we just sit around and watch flame, be warm and talk. A great thing when you have teens.

thanks for all the responses gentlemen. I have decided to go with an insert, however, I had another installer come in and quote $3900 for the Hearthstone-Morgan, which includes liner, cap and install.
How does Hearthstone compare to Regency?

Status
Not open for further replies.