Install Heat N Glo Northstar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woolleyr

Hearth Supporter
Dec 8, 2005
Greetings all,

I am seriously considering installing the Heat-n-Glo ZC fireplace in my home. The Northstar is the EPA certified high efficiency burner. Anyway I have had a FPX in another home and watched them install it..other than man handeling the beast around it looked pretty dang simple.

I currently have a foundation supported dog shed with a ZC gas unit...looks nice but ain't worth much. Builder already installed and finished before I bought house...
Other than some minor framing to enlarge the opening a bit, the only other main challenge is to build a wooden chase 24' tall, add the apprpriate metal chimney, cap it and then finish off the inside fireplace surround and mantel.

Here is the only catch...I have only seen it done and my professional licensed building contractor friend has never done an install either. Since this is the case and as long as we pull building permits and such (follow the rules) are we nuts to try and install it? It looks easy but nothing is ever easy or everyone would do it. Any installation suggestions as well would be appreciated...thanks

FireWX

my buddy is a carpenter and he put his quad 7100 in without any problems. luckily he had a boom lift to place it on the 2nd floor. getting it up a flight of stairs would have been difficult.just follow the manual and code and you should be fine. good luck you'll love the unit.

Some quick tips off the top of my head....

Read the manual front to back before starting.
Pay special attention to all clearances and combustible surface warnings.
Pay special attention to the hearth requirements.
Make sure you have room for the outside air connection on the right side.
Good idea to have 4 guys to get it into place.

Status
Not open for further replies.