insert vs stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

raymondreason

Oct 4, 2019
Idaho
I assumed that a fireplace insert would be significantly less efficient/effective than a free standing stove. But according to a salesman I recently talked to, there is no difference as far as efficiency goes. Does this seem right?
I mean, if it's true, I'd much rather go the insert route and save space.

Efficiency . . . or heat output? Just a guess on my part, but I would bet most all inserts and stoves would be close in terms of efficiency, but depending on the make/model and installation one might find a difference in the heat output. That said, many, many folks here have inserts and are warm all winter long.

I guess what I really want to know is if, in general, it would take more wood to keep a house warm with an insert than with a free standing wood stove?

You get a little more heat out of a free stander and there is no fan noise but for my layout an insert was the only way to go. No way do I want a free stander out in my LR.
The fact that the brown enamel finish compliments the wood floors and furnishings speaks for itself.

I would make the decision based
on the existing fireplace's location.

If the fireplace is at an exterior wall, I would probably
abandon it and install a freestanding stove.

If it's somewhere in the middle of
the house, I might go with an insert.

That's just me.

If you would rather go with an insert, then focus on that. If you choose one that projects out on the hearth as opposed to a flush insert, it will heat ok in milder weather even with the blower off. What are the fireplace dimensions? Can you post a picture or two of it?

Does a free stander heat better? Probably. Is the difference enough to matter? Maybe, maybe not.
Lots of us on here heat our homes just fine with inserts.

Reactions: firefighterjake