insert vs free standing wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ichildress

Aug 17, 2020
Boone, NC
Hello all! Have been lurking here for several days trying to find info on my question, and just decided to post. I am currently in the market for a wood stove insert or free standing to put into my fireplace. It originally had a cast iron insert that was in horrible shape and I am just lucky I didnt burn the house down. I had that insert pulled out in the Spring. The heated area of my home is small, approx 1100 sqft. I have been looking at the Regency Asheford, and the Blaze King Princess. The biggest "wants" for me are a large window/viewing area, and quiet, thermostat regulated blowers. I am worried about getting a stove that is too big for my house as I don't want to get run out of my living room! The point being, is this why people put free-standing stoves IN their hearth? Bc they are smaller and perhaps better suited to a smaller home? I have seen this done many times, but have never thought to ask why. My hearth is pretty deep so I think one would fit well.... The chimney service I am dealing with is coming September 4th and will certainly ask him as well, but really want to get the ball rolling as I know it can take time to get an insert/stove ordered and shipped. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!! insert vs free standing wood stove

Attachments

• insert vs free standing wood stove
    20200817_165852.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 128
There are advantages to each and there is an aesthetic choice as well. A Blaze King insert would do fine. There is no Regency Ashford. Did you mean the Altera? There is a freestanding BK stove by that name. In noncat, also look at Pacific Energy and Osburn inserts if there is a dealer nearby.

I know once you have an Ashford in that fireplace, the good looking Boxer will sleep much closer to the hearth. Makes me consider the pet contest again....it's been a few years.