Insert temps?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EBFIRE

Sep 30, 2014
MASSACHUSETTS
Just curious what temps people are running their inserts at when pointing infrared laser at the glass and recording the temp at several stages of burn. What's too hot for a temp reading? I can't record flue temp because it's an insert and there is no access. Thanks

Aiming at glass will not give good reading. If you sneak a stove top thermometer in the slot warm air cones out, then good. If not, follow manual instructions and all should be good.

I have a surface thermometer and put it on the front to the right of the door. Try to keep it around 400* F. Thats where mine seems to put out best heat.

Just curious what temps people are running their inserts at when pointing infrared laser at the glass and recording the temp at several stages of burn. What's too hot for a temp reading? I can't record flue temp because it's an insert and there is no access. Thanks
What insert is this for? As noted, readings off the glass are not accurate. Read above the door.

On my Jotul I have two temp gauges. One on the surround hovers at 300-350. The one on my stove where the air comes out is 550-600. Usually about a 200 degree diffrence. Dave T.

What insert is this for? As noted, readings off the glass are not accurate. Read above the door.
Fire Place Extraordinaire Non- Cat . I have a stove top/insert top thermometer and it sucks. Infra red is much more accurate in my opinion. I'm curious if people shoot there infrared at fire through glass when stove is running at normal what's the reading? I usually get three temps depending on where I point it. Yesterday was about 756 Degrees. Usually 355-375 everywhere but the glass.

I have the temperature gauge on front of a old 80 s era insert. I do have a infrared gun but i have this as a " quick look". Used a marker to get the heat range from the gun as it is not made to go on front of insert.

Attachments

• Insert temps?
    82757366_1214381395417040_2988493817138642944_o.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 68