Insert temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
Wondering if there are differences in temps of inserts vs free standing stoves. My usual cruising temp with insert with blower on is 500 to 600 degrees. If I ever turn fan off, I notice the temp go up a good amount. At these times, the fire inside appears to not be raging in any way. But yet I may see temps in 700 to 800 range if blower is off, as measured in slot between top of insert and metal surround. Does this seem normal?

There are a lot of variables that control stove temp including the thickness of the wood, species of wood and how well it is seasoned. Also influencing temp will be how soon the air is turned down, flue height, and outdoor temps. An insert may also run a bit hotter because it's wrapped in a convection jacket designed to trap and blow the heat out of the upper outlet. When the blower is off this heat is trapped in the convection jacket.

If you want to run the stove a bit cooler, load large splits and turn down the air as soon as the fire is fully involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.