Insert questions first time.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woody502

Nov 20, 2021
Louisville
The dimensions I have are 31 high, 40 wide, & 24 deep. The blaze king Ashford looks nice.any clue on price?? Don’t really have any other ideas, I really like the open fireplace concept. Wasn’t able to find any open fireplace with those dimensions. Any help would be appreciated!

Insert questions first time.

In order to make suggestions, we need to know more about the house. How large an area would it be heating? Is this for primary heating or supplemental on nights and weekends? What is the floorplan like? Is the fireplace room open to the rest of the floor or in a room with a door? Is the house one or two story? High ceilings or normal height?

Modern stoves need dry wood to burn properly. Do you have a good supply of firewood that is fully seasoned?

Reactions: clancey
Have a cord or so of seasoned wood, good and wrapped up with a tarp. House is about 2000 sq ft, fairly open floor plan single floor. Fireplace is open to other rooms normal height ceiling. More so heat on nights/ weekends, that’s why I was looking for the open fireplace. Relaxing to sit by the fire… hope we can find something that will fit well!!

You will be able to fit most inserts. Question about preferences

1 are you wanting the tax credit?
2 are you ok with operating and maintaining a catalytic insert?
3 classic or modern look?
4 are you wanting it for this winter?

I suggest checking out Pacific energy, Regency, Osborn, (Drolet if you want a good performer at at the lowest price).

Have a cord or so of seasoned wood, good and wrapped up with a tarp. House is about 2000 sq ft, fairly open floor plan single floor. Fireplace is open to other rooms normal height ceiling. More so heat on nights/ weekends, that’s why I was looking for the open fireplace. Relaxing to sit by the fire… hope we can find something that will fit well!!
You might like a fireplace insert that has a screen option for open door burning. This is not efficient, but will provide the open fire feeling when desired. The Osburn 2000 insert has this option for example.

Reactions: Woody502
You will be able to fit most inserts. Question about preferences

1 are you wanting the tax credit?
2 are you ok with operating and maintaining a catalytic insert?
3 classic or modern look?
4 are you wanting it for this winter?

I suggest checking out Pacific energy, Regency, Osborn, (Drolet if you want a good performer at at the lowest price).
What’s a catalytic insert? Modern look, prolly won’t get it for this season. Unless I find a really good deal on install and the fireplace/stove insert is in stock. How long are they doing tax credit for wood stove?

Tax credit is for stove/inserts with an efficiency HHV of 75% and up. All Blaze King stoves have catalytic converters in them. And meet this HHV value. Blaze kings are unique as they use a thermostat to regulate combustion air entering stove allowing the user to more rain set the heat output and burn time of the stove. To enable a really low burn rate they rely on the catalytic converter to “burn” the smoke and generate heat. Catalytic converters in stoves are similar to the ones in your car but need to be replaced every 10,000 hours and require different operating procedures to protect the converter. I am not sure how many inserts are available that are tax credit eligible that do not have a cat.

Tax credit extends through 2022. Not sure when it ends.