Insert question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wildwoods

Feb 13, 2020
South Jersey
Hello all hope everyone is enjoying burning as much as I am this winter.
I like it so much, I'm pulling my gas fireplace and installing a wood insert.
What are the cons for going to big? As long as it measures out with clearances why should I go with a smaller stove to fit my square footage? Besides not completely filling the box all time because it's warm enough.

Tks for your help.

What are the cons for going to big? As long as it measures out with clearances why should I go with a smaller stove to fit my square footage? Besides not completely filling the box all time because it's warm enough.

Tks for your help.
You cannot simply replace a gas fireplace with an insert. Is it a gas log set in a masonry fireplace or is it a prefab has fireplace?

You can build a smaller fire in a bigger box, but not a bigger fire in a small box.

With temperatures like we dipped down to last week, and are expecting on this coming Saturday, having the option to fill the stove is pretty damned nice.

Gas logs set in a masonry fireplace. Remove all and cap before installers arrive.
Ok in that case it can certainly be done assuming there is room for a properly sized liner etc

Tks for your help.
If it’s too big If and you want a small fire i don’t think it’s as efficient from a cold start. My 1.7 cu ft stove heat up much faster and I can get a cleaner burn sooner than my 2.4 cu ft insert. (But they have different designs) But the burn time is much longer on a bigger firebox. Don’t go less than 2 cu ft.

Decide if you want a catalytic converter or not.

Go as big as you can safely fit, remember unless your cleaning the ash and coals out every few days, it builds up and you get less and less room for splits.

Go as big as you can safely fit, remember unless your cleaning the ash and coals out every few days, it builds up and you get less and less room for splits.
I have a drolet ht200 on my middle floor and it works much better with a nice bed of ash. Once a week about I knock it down some.