Insert question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RJSMN

Oct 1, 2019
Minnesota
Hello,

New to the forum, grew up cutting and burning wood and now looking to purchase a wood burning insert for an old, inefficient ZC fireplace. I have done quite a bit of research and looked through more than a few pages of posts on this forum and cannot find a ZC like the one in our house or a thread dealing with a similar question. I've attached a pic of the existing ZC (you can disregard the measurement as it's not related to my question). I can find an insert that meets the measurement and clearance requirements given the current fireplace. However, my concern is the "floor" of this particular unit. The picture shows how the floor sits about 6 inches above the hearth. It's simply a pre-cast concrete slab sitting on a relatively thin piece of metal. There are no middle supports - only the attachment points to the side of the firebox. My concern/question relates to the ability of the existing unit to support the weight of the new insert (approx 400lbs). Ideally, I'd pull the floor and reinforce it, but every piece of literature I've read clearly states what can and can't be removed or altered and the existing fireplace bed/floor always shows up in the "do not touch" category. Wondering if my only option is a complete tear out or if anyone has run across this before. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• Insert question
    Fireplace.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 100
Hello,

New to the forum, grew up cutting and burning wood and now looking to purchase a wood burning insert for an old, inefficient ZC fireplace. I have done quite a bit of research and looked through more than a few pages of posts on this forum and cannot find a ZC like the one in our house or a thread dealing with a similar question. I've attached a pic of the existing ZC (you can disregard the measurement as it's not related to my question). I can find an insert that meets the measurement and clearance requirements given the current fireplace. However, my concern is the "floor" of this particular unit. The picture shows how the floor sits about 6 inches above the hearth. It's simply a pre-cast concrete slab sitting on a relatively thin piece of metal. There are no middle supports - only the attachment points to the side of the firebox. My concern/question relates to the ability of the existing unit to support the weight of the new insert (approx 400lbs). Ideally, I'd pull the floor and reinforce it, but every piece of literature I've read clearly states what can and can't be removed or altered and the existing fireplace bed/floor always shows up in the "do not touch" category. Wondering if my only option is a complete tear out or if anyone has run across this before. Thanks in advance for any advice.
You need to find the I'd tag for your fireplace. It is usually on the inner edge of the opening behind the screens somewhere. After you find that look up the manual and see if an insert is permitted in your fireplace. Chances are it is not very few do allow it. In that case you cannot put an insert in there.

You need to find the I'd tag for your fireplace. It is usually on the inner edge of the opening behind the screens somewhere. After you find that look up the manual and see if an insert is permitted in your fireplace. Chances are it is not very few do allow it. In that case you cannot put an insert in there.

Thanks for the reply. Tag states Dura Vent out of CA. Company still exists in some form so maybe I can get a manual from them. It doesn't appear they've made any type of ZC fireplace for quite some time.

Thanks for the reply. Tag states Dura Vent out of CA. Company still exists in some form so maybe I can get a manual from them. It doesn't appear they've made any type of ZC fireplace for quite some time.
Is there a model number?

Yep, it's W - 36. Believe it or not, there may even be some form of serial number, but I need to do a bit more scrubbing on that section of the tag.
Can you take a pic of the tag?

Right there is your answer. It says only for use with duravent fireplace parts.