Insert Insulation Plan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

dan7800

Nov 21, 2022
Upstate NY
I am working with an installer for my wood insert. I have an outside vent that is accessible through the cleanout (trap door in bottom center of firebox), but they mentioned that it wasn't possible to connect the outside air kit and hose to go underneath the insert. This makes sense to me. Their alternative is to seal the back of the stove with fire retardant foam board and spray foam. The board and sealing would occur just behind the faceplace. The assumption is that the air would be drawn up from the open cleanout, but wouldn't draft into the house and the air for the insert wouldn't be drawn from inside, but from the outside.

Is this the best course of action? Is it safe and would it have a significant impact on the heat output from the insert?

[Hearth.com] Insert Insulation Plan

No, fire-retardant is not the same as non-combustible/fireproof. It should not be used. Kaowool (ceramic wool) or Roxul mineral fiberboard are safe to use.

Is there a damper area block-off plate in place? That will help keep the heat at the insert too.

I’ll have to check to see what specific type of board was used. If it is the correct type of board, is that ok?

There is a damper plate.

Should I:

A) Have the installer remove the board if it is merely retardant and install fireboard
B) Not utilize any board and just have the insert draw from inside of the home like a non outside intake vent would.
C) Something else

Thanks all
-Dan

mineral fiberboard
Would one of these be good?

or this:

or one of these?
  1. https://www.amazon.com/Roxul-Rockboard-Mineral-Wool-Board/dp/B083B677N3/ref=sr_1_1?crid=243OKW4X0A9Q7&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.uxIvKsA7oIvAsSheXf2I79R38Xnhf7EdZzQTwWc9CLzGjHj071QN20LucGBJIEps.vGsDtAT4FN6mptZbmQjt3-rTCUDS1h7afRkStkKlwaE&dib_tag=se&keywords=Roxul+mineral+fiberboard&qid=1729019421&s=hi&sprefix=roxul+mineral+fiberboard,tools,72&sr=1-1
  2. https://www.amazon.com/Rockwool-Mineral-Insulation-Temperature-Density/dp/B0933KS6XJ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=15GVGT62ATP2H&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.45CD_N93NLJWwxrvSpAwPJYoMaxVi19o5aqgX6TMrFOQ0fqALxfWqX2PtroeJJ5lgMD5fytLoFTu7OGlBT-QytWTAui5AHeYQ0l9XumiPCHxi2RkPSWiU9WYCT8RqX2J.kJZDsK30r9lQBgVOJx1NLDbK7_azgZ4SVbf3VjUVQvs&dib_tag=se&keywords=fiberwool&qid=1729020287&s=hi&sprefix=fiberwool,tools,102&sr=1-4&th=1

Last edited:
Also, on a side note I am not going to be using this insert 70-80% of the time. It is only for occasional use to heat the room when in use. Am I better off just sealing the intake itself and using air from inside the home when burning? I'm just wondering if it is splitting hairs over which option is better.

I liven upstate NY in a 1980, large home that is pretty well sealed.

It will work fine without insulation but adding some will improve heat output. It won't take that much. There's no need for a large quantity. Look at 1" ceramic fiber insulation on Amazon. Board material is easier to keep in place than blanket, but both will work.

It will work fine without insulation but adding some will improve heat output. It won't take that much. There's no need for a large quantity. Look at 1" ceramic fiber insulation on Amazon. Board material is easier to keep in place than blanket, but both will work.
Is putting insulation that close to the front of the insert going to make me insulate out heat from the insert? Basically, I am wondering if I would be better off just sealing off the intake and using air from the home and if I am over thinking things.

Thank you very much as always.

No, it won't, but even a 3/4 wrap around the sides and back will improve things. Again, if the insert is just going to be used occasionally, and mostly for ambiance, then it is less important.

No, it won't, but even a 3/4 wrap around the sides and back will improve things. Again, if the insert is just going to be used occasionally, and mostly for ambiance, then it is less important.
Just to clarify, I was thinking that I would just use the board just behind the faceplate of the insert. From what I can gather, this isn't the same as you were thinking?

The situation is this:

In the middle of the firebox, there is the cleanout which also leads to an existing outside air vent. I am unable to run the 5" intake house that comes out of the side of the insert under the insert. I was thinking that I'd leave the cleanout door open and then "seal" just behind the faceplate. My thought process is that the insert would suck in air through the air outside that comes up through the cleanout.