Insert for Masonry fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wargle

Jan 29, 2018
Alabama
I have a masonry fireplace with gas logs. I would like to install an insert with blower for the logs. Is this possible and what are some of the products available? thanks for your help!

If it really is a full masonry fireplace the yes you should be able to install an insert. You will need an insulated liner from the insert to the top of the chimney. To give you any sort of recommendations we need measurments of the firebox the current liner. Square footage to be heated etc. Some pics will help as well.

I have a masonry fireplace with gas logs. I would like to install an insert with blower for the logs. Is this possible and what are some of the products available? thanks for your help!

What kind of insert are you talking about?? There is nothing that would incorporate the gas logs which is what you seem to imply. If you're talking about installing a wood burning insert in place of the gas logs then bholler has you headed in the right direction.

If you have gas plumbed to the FP, you should consider a modern efficient gas insert.

You'll actually get some heat out of that gas instead of just sending it up the flue.

If it really is a full masonry fireplace the yes you should be able to install an insert. You will need an insulated liner from the insert to the top of the chimney. To give you any sort of recommendations we need measurments of the firebox the current liner. Square footage to be heated etc. Some pics will help as well.

It is a full masonry fireplace. I currently have a craft stove wood burning insert installed that I have converted to gas logs , but the wife wants a different "look" and still keep the gas logs. (It's complicated) We are planning on a major renovation late this year and the masonry fireplace may go away and I would like to be able to incorporate the "new" insert, etc. to a new location in a non masonry installation. The current masonry firebox opening is 42" wide x 28" high. I can't measure the rear dimensions due to the current insert. I may be asking for too much, but I figure this is the place to get the right information.

It is a full masonry fireplace. I currently have a craft stove wood burning insert installed that I have converted to gas logs , but the wife wants a different "look" and still keep the gas logs. (It's complicated) We are planning on a major renovation late this year and the masonry fireplace may go away and I would like to be able to incorporate the "new" insert, etc. to a new location in a non masonry installation. The current masonry firebox opening is 42" wide x 28" high. I can't measure the rear dimensions due to the current insert. I may be asking for too much, but I figure this is the place to get the right information.
Well an insert needs to be in a code compliant wood burning fireplace. And there are no wood burning inserts which allow you to put gas logs in them anyway. It sounds like you should wait till the remodel then install a direct vent zeroclearance gas unit.