Input on Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

cat200

Hearth Supporter
Jan 12, 2009
NE Missouri
I have an Englander 30-nc and have a chance to update to the BK Princess will the cost be worth it in wood savings and the performance of the BK Princess over the Englander?

Having a few more details on how the 30NC is currently working for you and how large an area you are heating would help in understanding how much a change would be noticed. They are quite different stoves. What's the problem that you are trying to solve with the stove upgrade?

Yes, let us know what you are doing currently. They both should be able to crank out a lot of heat. The BK should be able to run cleaner at lower temps.

If you have a lead on a used princess and you do not want to follow through with it, please pm me, as I am wanting to upgrade from my old pre-epa earth stove to a BK.

I am currently heating 1500ft on the main floor and 750ft in the basement. the stove is located in the basement. It heats the house very easily but I have to load it 5 times a day with 5-6 splits in a 24 hour period. When it is 20-25 degrees out side it will keep the main floor at 75-80 degrees with the air control at 20%. I was wondering if the Princess would use less wood for the same amount of heat?

cat200 said:
I have an Englander 30-nc and have a chance to update to the BK Princess will the cost be worth it in wood savings and the performance of the BK Princess over the Englander?

If the Princess was free, I'd probably do it. Otherwise I wouldn't bother unless the 30 was blowing me out of the house.

The Princess should burn steadily at a lower rate which may be what you are looking for. Is the goal reduced wood consumption and to lower the overall temps by 5 or more degrees? If so, the Princess should help, especially in milder weather. 75-80 would be too warm for me and it sounds like the basement must be a sauna. However, if you like it that hot, then why change?

cat200 said:
I am currently heating 1500ft on the main floor and 750ft in the basement. the stove is located in the basement. It heats the house very easily but I have to load it 5 times a day with 5-6 splits in a 24 hour period. When it is 20-25 degrees out side it will keep the main floor at 75-80 degrees with the air control at 20%. I was wondering if the Princess would use less wood for the same amount of heat?

Picking out that statement, I would say no. Although I dont know what the actual stove efficiencies are, the bottom line is the 25-30 splits you're feeding it only have so many btus in them, and as long as you are burning the 30 cleanly i wouldn't think the Blaze King would be a bunch more efficient.

Now as Begreen pointed out if your goal was to reduce your house temp by running your stove at a lower temperature, say at 400-450 instead of the 550+ the 30 likes to cruise at, then the cat stove can be run cooler and still run clean, for a longer time with the same load of wood. Then that could reduce you wood use. On the other hand you could accomplish pretty much the same thing, by letting the stove/house temp drop a little more before reloading.

Thanks for the input I think we will stay with the Englander. We like the mid to upper 70 degree temps. We keep the house at 80 degrees for the summer. I am starting to think we live in the wrong climate for the temps we like

Status
Not open for further replies.