Inline duct fan?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhite

Minister of Fire
Nov 8, 2011
North Central Idaho
My propane furnace is centrally located in a closet by the entry door. The air intake registers are at opposite ends of the house. There is a 110 outlet in the furnace closet. I thinking I could tap into the intake at the furnace with an inline fan, come right through the wall so I can pull the cold air from the ends of the house. The line I would be tapping into is 15" diameter and 10' to one intake and around 30 to the other. Think this will work? Can a small duct fan pull that volume? Inline duct fan? Inline duct fan?

I don't think that would work too well unless the return air was blocked off before the blower. Otherwise the fan would be pulling from the return and from the supply (through the furnace). Of course with the return air blocked off the furnace would need to be turned off at the breaker to prevent it accidentally coming on. And the duct fan would need to be large enough to be effective.

I don't think that would work too well unless the return air was blocked off before the blower. Otherwise the fan would be pulling from the return and from the supply (through the furnace). Of course with the return air blocked off the furnace would need to be turned off at the breaker to prevent it accidentally coming on. And the duct fan would need to be large enough to be effective.
Kind of what I was thinking. Back to the drawing board.

Also, flexduct is not made for tapping into. Are there supply and return plenums on the furnace?

Also, flexduct is not made for tapping into. Are there supply and return plenums on the furnace?
In the attic there is. Wasn't thinking of tapping into the flex as much as putting a galvanized peice inline and going off of that. But your right in that it wouldn't necessarily pull from the supply without blocking off the output side.

This is what's great about this site. Sometimes I have, what seems like a good idea in my head but I can bounce it off a few folks and realize there's a better way. I think a dedicated inline duct would be the best solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.