Inexpensive options for the garage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

OhioBurner©

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 20, 2010
Center of Ohio
This isn't for me but my aunt and uncle have recently moved and asked me about stoves. Thought I'd help em out since I am the families stove geek :p I typed them up a big email including some info about the different technologies and some of the best stoves out there but then I find out it's not for their house its for there Morton garage, my uncle has a shop set up and the just want to heat 'one bay'. I'm still waiting to hear back just how big it is, but I assume not that large though it is also not insulated. Climate is the finger lakes region in NYS. They apparently are only going to burn while he is out there, not 24x7. I am completely out of my element here, not to familiar with the more budget friendly stoves when efficiency isn't a huge concern. I only know that the Englander NC30 seems like the #1 rated budget stove, but would that be too large for one bay of a garage? Any other suggestions?

Not too big for a leaky uninsulated garage.

Reactions: OhioBurner©
Not too big for a leaky uninsulated garage.

Agreed. Especially if he is "only going to be using it when he is out there". This means he will open the door to a 20 degree space and then want heat as close to immediately as possible. More power is better for this. He can then let the fire go out or keep feeding a small fire in the box. Old folks especially appreciate a large firebox for ease of loading and working room.

I started my NC30 in the shop (call it a shop, solid fuel heaters are illegal in garages) yesterday to warm up the place and it really does the job of heating right next to it pretty quickly and then over time heating more of the space. It's a tough stove with lots of radiant heat from the big sides and top. Large fans work well too. The stove is only like 700$.

Local sawmill guys have a 8 foot long homeade beast they fill with hardwood cutoffs.
gets toasty.

Thanks all, I'm still waiting back from him to answer some of my questions, including the venting. They say the previous owner took the stove out, but it has venting. Though I'm guessing being a small metal garage building it's not a very tall stack how does the NC30 do on a short stack?

I see right now on HD its $900 though, I know like Highbeam mentioned I've seen it cheaper is there some trick or discount or does one just have to wait for it to go on sale? I'm not sure if they were planning on installing something right away or for next year. I do see the NC13 for $650, I wonder if that would suffice for what they want.

The 13 has a small firebox, will need frequent loading and for a leaky shop, may not cut it. For a couple hundred bucks more, no brainer for the 30.

Thanks all, I'm still waiting back from him to answer some of my questions, including the venting. They say the previous owner took the stove out, but it has venting. Though I'm guessing being a small metal garage building it's not a very tall stack how does the NC30 do on a short stack?

I see right now on HD its $900 though, I know like Highbeam mentioned I've seen it cheaper is there some trick or discount or does one just have to wait for it to go on sale? I'm not sure if they were planning on installing something right away or for next year. I do see the NC13 for $650, I wonder if that would suffice for what they want.
It's going to want 15ft of flue and dry wood to run right.