Indoor Plants

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bushels20

Feeling the Heat
May 20, 2018
OH
At my wife’s request I’m wondering if any of you have indoor plants? This will be our first burning season following her new found hobby of indoor house plants.

Any one have Indoor plants/ideas how to help the lack of humidity the stove will generate?

The stove does not dry the air out, its cold air coming into the house through leaks in the building envelope that causes dry air. I use a humidifier.

At my wife’s request I’m wondering if any of you have indoor plants? This will be our first burning season following her new found hobby of indoor house plants.

Any one have Indoor plants/ideas how to help the lack of humidity the stove will generate?
Not really a stove issue. Heat is heat. Interiors are going to be dry in the winter due to the differential from the dew point. Have a spray bottle handy and give the plants a spritz if the indoor humidity is low. And water regularly. We have a lot of plants and they are on a weekly watering cycle.

Reactions: Bushels20
I find my indoor plants grow better in the winter. The lower angle of the sun allows for more sunlight into the house through the south facing windows and the indoor temperature is generally higher for us in the winter. Sometimes I use a spray bottle and mist my plants, but usually just keeping up on water is enough. I'm actually growing some vegetables indoors this winter. I've just been saving carrot ends, leek bottoms, etc. and planting that.

No problem with the plants, just have to keep them watered.

Mine go outside for summer vacation, brought them in a few weeks ago.

Thank you all. Going to show my wife your replies and I’m sure she will find them helpful!

Reactions: Dix
Tell her this Chick will help her w/ any questions ;)

Running the wood stove actually increases humidity in my house as my alternative is forced hot air which is even drier. I have around 25 houseplants in my house including humidity lovers like palms and citrus and they all do just fine over the winter.

Running the wood stove actually increases humidity in my house as my alternative is forced hot air which is even drier. I have around 25 houseplants in my house including humidity lovers like palms and citrus and they all do just fine over the winter.

Great, thank you. My wife actually started some citrus (lemons) about 3 years ago. That was the start of this hobby of hers. These lemons have popped up and are like 2 foot tall now. It came from a literal grocery store lemon. She cleaned the seed, soaked it and off it went. It will be so cool once a lemon grows. 4 years apparently for for maturity.

Seed grown citrus in a container can take 5-10+ years before they bear fruit. Don't prune it as doing so will reduce the node count which will make it take even longer. Good luck!

Two stoves in our house, herbs and a few other plants grow in windowsills year around, no issue. Plus, we have an attached greenhouse with a wood stove for occasional seriously-cold night. No issue in the greenhouse either.

Don't use the bath fan during showers/bathes...if you have an electric clothes drier, there are lint collection devices that allow you to discharge to the house (basement) in the winter...that and air sealing the house as much as possible (OAK for the stove) will keep humidity levels in check.