increased burn time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

53splitter

Hearth Supporter
Jan 1, 2009
Kentucky
I just had a HotBlast 1557 add-on installed in my house. I'm burning red oak mixed with a little bradford pear. I'm getting a 3-4 hour burn time. It isnt a big problem during the day but at night it gets a little chilly. Just looking for advice on how I could possibly increase the burn time. Also, if anyone has one of these stoves in their home I would like to know any tips or experience with helping make it more efficient.
Thanks
Jacob

I'm not a wood guru like some here, but I can tell you the first thing to know is, how dry is that wood? Especially the oak?

I had an identical problem burning red oak in my smoke dragon stove, but the next year with 18-month-seasoned black locust, I could get 7-9 hours without much fuss. I didn't know at the time that oak like to hold its water, so 2-3 years seasoning time is critical.

the wood is three years old. had it out in the weather until about two weeks ago. split it all up and brought it inside. So, I'm sure some of it is still a little damp

If you were just getting it split a few weeks ago, Im sure its still pretty darn wet inside.

Do you have something else you can burn for a bit? Maybe keep some of this oak next to the stove to help it dry out?

ya i knew i was a little behind on getting the wood dried out. I have it 5 feet away from the stove, it seems really dry but Im sure there is hidden moisture. next year i will be more prepared. I heat 3300 sq. ft. with the HotBlast. running at full steam it keeps the house 72. stoked it last night at 11 and at 6AM the house was 65 and the fire completely out. the outside temp this morning was 33. overall I am really pleased but would like to see if I can get another hour or two of burn time at night.

You can try to split your pieces in half again. That will give more surface area to help it dry, but then it will probably not last as long in your stove.

Since it is oak, Im sure its still got some moisture in it. At least having it in near the stove will help get you there!

My dad has a hot blast in his garage. He uses 75% coal. It lasts prob 6-8 hours depending on the heat demand from the stove. Get coal and enjoy less work and alot more heat.

$275 is a reasonable price for a ton of coal outside the NE Penn coal area...

Do you know what size/type of coal your stove should burn? My Godin is listed for wood or coal and I burn "nut" size anthracite in it. Some stoves need smaller (pea or rice) some larger (stove). Some stoves like bituminous (soft) coal

I would start with a couple of bags of coal to see if you like it and how it burns in your stove. About 40 pounds should last you a day. If you buy a ton and don't like it or it doesn't work well in the stove it is a little hard to get rid of.

If you are nor familiar with burning coal in a stove you might want to visit the Northeastern Pennsylvania Community Forums, Home of the Anthracite and Bituminous Coal Forums at http://nepacrossroads.com/. They do for coal burners what this place does for wood burners...

KaptJaq

I live in N.E. Pa and some friends that burn coal are rolling their eyes because coal went from $160.00 ton to $190.00 ton.

Status
Not open for further replies.