In wall AC unit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shortys7777

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2017
Smithfield, RI
There was an old ac unit built into the wall when I moved into the house. It was nasty. I can't seem to find a unit that fits. The dimensions are 18 wide by 14 high. All in the wall units I see everything are bigger. The width of the wall is about 6 1/2. What are my options here? I don't want to have to expand the opening past the studs or framing someone built. It is a load bearing wall with shingles on the outside. Thanks. The wife is not happy I didn't take care of this in the spring.

You could also go with a ductless mini-split system instead of a window unit. It would cost a bit more but you'd likely gain on efficiency, noise, reliability, and HP heating capabilities.

If a lot of cooling (plus some heating) is desired then a mini-split can make sense. In between, cost-wise, if more cooling is needed would be a casement window AC which is narrow but tall.

There was an old ac unit built into the wall when I moved into the house. It was nasty. I can't seem to find a unit that fits. The dimensions are 18 wide by 14 high. All in the wall units I see everything are bigger. The width of the wall is about 6 1/2. What are my options here? I don't want to have to expand the opening past the studs or framing someone built. It is a load bearing wall with shingles on the outside. Thanks. The wife is not happy I didn't take care of this in the spring.
Lots of folks place a piece of plywood in the bottom of the wall frame, then slide in a low cost window unit and press in foam strips to seal the perimeter. But your opening sounds pretty small. You could go for one of those portable AC Units that vent out a window. Just put a plywood cover for the 18x14" opening, cut the round vent openings for the portable AC.

I never actually bought one, but we used them at work during an HVAC problem and was surprised how well they functioned.