im looking for a real large coal /wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Combo stoves usually perform poorly at one task or another, sometimes both. What will be the primary fuel burned?

D.S. Machine is the only maker I know of that still touts a combo stove. Perhaps they're small enough to fly under the EPA's radar.

That said, I've not seen anyone who burns wood in one be too impressed with it. Seems to fair alright with coal burners though.

Why on earth coal, you gotta mine in your back yard? I used tolike burning coal, and it is almost like an artform, but not so good anymore. Pellets are the new coal, dude.

Depends where you live, coal is still a viable option.

Coal has it all over Pellets!

No augers, no noisy blowers, long lasting heat. (In a "wood stove" type of unit.)

I had a Russo and that puppy put out a sweet continous non varying heat for hours!

Miss that old stove!

I moved, sadly I left that stove and the Pennsylvania Anthracite region behind.

Dave

No augers, no noisy blowers, long lasting heat. (In a "wood stove" type of unit.)

I had a Russo and that puppy put out a sweet continous non varying heat for hours!

Miss that old stove!

Dave
Yep- PA anthracite would make a lot of sense.

I also remember some show in Alaska where they just gathered coal off the beach. No cutting, splitting and stacking!

im looking for a real large coal/wood stove
Hitzer Stove - Berne, Indiana. They cater to the amish community near there who still heat with coal. They used to do wood / coal units.
Hitzer.com

The problem with all of this is the two fuels need such different conditions to burn well that no combination will ever work well for both unless it involves changing out lots of internal parts.

http://www.legacystoves.com/index.php?page=mark-iii-coal-stove

These guys are making some big heating claims. Coal is interesting. Higher quality coal is supposed to be clean burning. We have a lot of it around here and I seen a cost of $17 dollars a short ton. Whatever that is. I think that was bulk cost.
That is who took over harmans coal line. They are good coal stoves and miserable wood stoves. I dont know what a short ton is but coal hasnt been $17 a ton for 70 years or so.

That is who took over harmans coal line. They are good coal stoves and miserable wood stoves. I dont know what a short ton is but coal hasnt been $17 a ton for 70 years or so.
In Wyoming it can evidently. It is the sub variety. This article says $12.10 for a ton as of December 2017. Like I said that’s probably bulk prices. Like power plant bulk. Unless I’m missing something. By the way I read a short ton is 2000 lbs. Now I’m going to have to look up what a long ton is. Lol

http://eadiv.state.wy.us/creg/WyInsight.pdf

In Wyoming it can evidently. It is the sub variety. This article says $12.10 for a ton as of December 2017. Like I said that’s probably bulk prices. Like power plant bulk. Unless I’m missing something. By the way I read a short ton is 2000 lbs. Now I’m going to have to look up what a long ton is. Lol

http://eadiv.state.wy.us/creg/WyInsight.pdf
Ok that is lignite coal at bulk pricing. That is very very different from what a private person would pay for a ton of good quality anthracite.

Miss that old stove!

Dave

Was just going to say this. I live in the PA Anthracite region and while it would take some work. I probably have at least 2 years of coal pretty much in my backyard. Tons along the railroad tracks and by the old breakers. Hell probably 5 years. :)

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Was just going to say this. I live in the PA Anthracite region and while it would take some work. I probably have at least 2 years of coal pretty much in my backyard. Tons along the railroad tracks and by the old breakers. Hell probably 5 years. :)
This is the one circumstance I'd heat with coal! Just go for a walk and pick up the fuel. No more cutting, splitting and stacking.

Reactions: Elle and Joyboy
Ok that is lignite coal at bulk pricing. That is very very different from what a private person would pay for a ton of good quality anthracite.
Yes. That is what I said as well. It is Subbituminous coal. About 8400 btu’s per pound. Anthracite is about 14000 btu’s per pound ave.

A short ton is a US ton (2000 pounds). They say 'short ton' in the UK to distinguish our 2000 pound ton from imperial tons and metric tonnes, both of which are around 2200 pounds.

I suppose it could also be that coal salesman use 'short ton' like 'face cord' to mean about a wheelbarrow full, less if the buyer looks extra gullible. No idea there. :)

Reactions: bholler and Joyboy
A short ton is a US ton (2000 pounds). They say 'short ton' in the UK to distinguish our 2000 pound ton from imperial tons and metric tonnes, both of which are around 2200 pounds.

I suppose it could also be that coal salesman use 'short ton' like 'face cord' to mean about a wheelbarrow full, less if the buyer looks extra gullible. No idea there. :)
Thanks for clearing that up