I'm confused about ZC and inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ktm rider

Jul 11, 2011
Western Md.
We built our log home a few years ago with the intention of a fireplace in the future so I am now researching this.
I want to heat the first and second floor of my house with this unit ( although I also have a coal boiler in my garage for primary heat). I know I don't want a traditional fireplace because the major heat loss up the chimney. I love the look of inserts with a single cast door. But here is where I get confused. Inserts are sort of a retro fit into a fireplace. and I do not like that look at all I'm confused about ZC and inserts
It just looks like the space is filled in and the insert was an afterthought Like in this pic.

I love this look. But this is a high dollar ZC fireplace

I'm confused about ZC and inserts

I am guessing I could build a custom firebox specifically for an insert so It doesn't look like an afterthought. I have searched for threads about people using an insert in new builds but didn't find anything. Obviously the ZC is more expensive and I don't want to spend more than I would have to. SO I guess I am asking if there is a insert type stove/fireplace out there that heats well and isn't a zero clearance.

Are you tight on space and a freestanding stove will not fit?

Yes, I don't really have the room a freestanding stove would require. The living room area was designed for an eventual fireplace with a rock hearth up the wall. The ceiling is a cathedral ceiling.

not knowing for sure what you have for your setup or intended spot for a fireplace, its hard to give good advice. i dont think building a masonry fireplace just to install an insert will be any cheaper than purchasing the ZC of your dreams. flue pipe and labor are expensive these days. maybe post some pics of your setup. there are several great guys here that install these things daily, they will be along to give trusted advice

not knowing for sure what you have for your setup or intended spot for a fireplace, its hard to give good advice. i dont think building a masonry fireplace just to install an insert will be any cheaper than purchasing the ZC of your dreams. flue pipe and labor are expensive these days. maybe post some pics of your setup. there are several great guys here that install these things daily, they will be along to give trusted advice

My home is really three stories with the basement area being counted as a story. The house is on the side of a hill so half of the basement is above ground. I do have the initial base of the chimney started and a wood burner in the basement with flue block up past the peak of the roof. The base where the second floor ( living room) fireplace would set is also built. A hole would need to be cut in the logs and the fireplace sat into place then the flue for the fireplace constructed up beside the basement woodstove flue anready in place. ( I plan to finish the whole outside with a river rock veneer)
The wall where the fireplace would go in the living room is simply a flat log wall right now.

Have you thought about doing a alcove setup with a free standing?

Edit: NM, you updated as I posted.

If you're cutting a hole and installing into masonry a nice flush/semi flush mount insert would look nice and give you heat, Blaze King released a new one called the Sirocco 25 you should look at.

Obviously the ZC is more expensive and I don't want to spend more than I would have to. SO I guess I am asking if there is a insert type stove/fireplace out there that heats well and isn't a zero clearance.
You will end up spending more building a fireplace and chimney then an insert and liner than you will just doing a zeroclearance fireplace from the start. When you built the house did you have the footers put in to support a masonry fireplace?

ZC fireplaces vary quite a bit depending on the size and mfg.. Some lower cost EPA fireplaces are now on the market. Take a look at the RSF Opel 2, Pacific Energy FP30 arched door and the Astria Montecito zc fireplaces for example.

You will end up spending more building a fireplace and chimney then an insert and liner than you will just doing a zeroclearance fireplace from the start. When you built the house did you have the footers put in to support a masonry fireplace?

This is the exact kind of info I am looking for. ( Like I said I am a total newbie) Yes the base of the fireplace ( footers) was installed when we built the house.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.