I'm calling it officially fixed.

• Thread starter Thread starter oldspark
  • Start date Start date
  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

oldspark

After another 700 plus stove top temp (with damper at 45 or a little more) I am putting this issue to rest in my head, it was fun while it lasted but as yu well know nothing lasts for ever. :lol:

oldspark said:
After another 700 plus stove top temp (with damper at 45 or a little more) I am putting this issue to rest in my head, it was fun while it lasted but as yu well know nothing lasts for ever. :lol:

Good to hear oldspark - I've been running the Manny with pipe damper at about 45 and definitely brings the stove top temp up faster, and seems to hold longer. Cheers!

So spark, 700 was the magic number? What were you getting for temps with your old stove?
Are you using less wood compared to the other one?
What's the difference in heat degrees in your house vs the old stove?
How bout burn times were they as long or shorter ?

iceman said:
So spark, 700 was the magic number? What were you getting for temps with your old stove?
It would stall out at about 600 or so, yes it seems like I am using less wood and getting more heat, burn time are longer but will know more when it gets colder, I had enough coals this morning to light a fire with five med-small pieces of oak after 10 hours, firebox was only about a 1/3 full. Like I said in another post this is the first time this stove has impressed me. Happy in Iowa. :-)

oldspark said:
iceman said:
It would stall out at about 600 or so, yes it seems like I am using less wood and getting more heat, burn time are longer but will know more when it gets colder, I had enough coals this morning to light a fire with five med-small pieces of oak after 10 hours, firebox was only about a 1/3 full. Like I said in another post this is the first time this stove has impressed me. Happy in Iowa. :-)

So I guess you had to much draft? Wow I would love some more draft !
Glad to see your happy!
Now fill that sucker up and practice for the cold days! This way you will be ready!
I am going to season some black locust.. sit it in front of my stove for a couple of days! And see how it works next week when temps go back to seasonal LOL

Super good news!

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] I'm calling it officially fixed.
    omgexcite.webp
    14.5 KB · Views: 378
    thatisexcellent3im.webp
    18.7 KB · Views: 376
Congrats Spark! What would you suggest is the major factors leading to the improved performance?

One thing I have leaned towards is not overstuffing the firebox with large splits if I am going to be around in the next 5 hrs or so--> I get higher stove top temps than jammed full. And more frequent ash cleanouts leads to a hotter burn IMHO

Is 700 with fan on?

madison said:
Congrats Spark! What would you suggest is the major factors leading to the improved performance?

One thing I have leaned towards is not overstuffing the firebox with large splits if I am going to be around in the next 5 hrs or so--> I get higher stove top temps than jammed full. And more frequent ash cleanouts leads to a hotter burn IMHO

Is 700 with fan on?
The 700 is with out fan (saves on confusion in the posts), some seem to think my 600 or so stove top temps was not that big a deal but that was max temp most of the time and I had to just let it go to get there (not turn the fan on), now I can hit 700 if I want to and I could get it hotter than that but dont plan on doing that on any regular basis.
Bottom line it was the flue damper, I loaded that stove every which way, adjusted the air many different ways, tried 2x6 construction lumber AND a new chimney (needed it any way) and still it liked 600 or so 90 percent of the time. It just works that much better with the flue damper, the secondaries are better and the box stays hotter longer.

Great, thanks. If Iowa starts heating up and glowing red, we know who to call!

Do you pretty much then use the damper to control the fire, or do you leave it set at 45 and use the air control... or both?

Also curious if the temps in the stack above and below the damper are different?

madison said:

Do you pretty much then use the damper to control the fire, or do you leave it set at 45 and use the air control... or both?
I use it to control the fire, wide open on reloads and startups and adjust it first to about 45 but that can vary on conditions and then adjust the primary air, its funny I have been told a dozen times "these new stoves aint gonna run like the old ones", guess what mine does and loving it. :lol:

Nice looking fire, what type wood? Forgot to answer your flue temp question about below damper vs above temp., it does not seem to make that much of a difference in the temps like I thought it would, maybe that is also an indicator of my strong draft. Some things I just cant explain but hard to argue with results (some will try though :) ).

madison said:

Also curious if the temps in the stack above and below the damper are different?

I have a damper but I don't really need it. But got to playing around last night.
Closed the damper for maybe 10 mins..fire did die some.
Took a IR temp maybe 2 inches above it and2 inches below...it was hotter above it..but just for a little ways..go figure..lol.

Just ran down and took these pics.
The two pics were maybe 5 secs apart...and I took the one above the damper first.

Attachments

damper test 001.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 248
    damper test 002.webp
    16.1 KB · Views: 236
Old spark, the new gasket material I installed as changed my stove. I don't want to over exaggerate but the the secondaries are alive much more often and the the burn time has significantly increased. For the last 2 night I have been able to shut the air down all the way and still have a great burn.

SKIN052 said:
Old spark, the new gasket material I installed as changed my stove. I don't want to over exaggerate but the the secondaries are alive much more often and the the burn time has significantly increased. For the last 2 night I have been able to shut the air down all the way and still have a great burn.
Yea I'm looking forward to trying out the new gasket, maybe I will have to quit using the damper after I put that in. :lol:

Glad to hear it OS !! I remember some of those posts, well %-P

Status
Not open for further replies.