If the power goes out . . . .

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
No a runaway fire is caused by either user error or excessive draft. Yes running a fan can help drop the temps but that is not a solution. Either the install needs fixed so the draft is under control or the burn technique needs to be changed.

I anticipate having excessive draft due to my chimney height and how my fireplace would pull air from our upstairs area. We'll soon see. Got a call today saying my Princess shipped today.

So, the FP30 and kin don't put useful heat through the door when the fans aren't running?
I say my FP30 throws a fair amount of radiant heat thru the glass as well as heats my stone up all around so i would say while it wont be nearly as efficient as with the fan, it will still do as good or better job than an open fireplace.

2018 Pacific Energy FP30

Directly from PE's website......

"
Can I run my insert without the blower?

• Yes, all woodstoves must be safety tested without power."

The only type wood burning appliance that was critical with a power outage are the forced air wood furnaces with a cabinet around them as the heat ex changer. One company named Char master has louvers at the bottom the open with a solder melting type fuse to let the air in and gravity towards ttop

Why not just put in a sub pannel and put some basic circuits on it. You could then plug in a small generator to it.. run some lights.. refrigerator. The fan you your insert, tv ect...

I did something along these lines. I installed a single circuit transfer switch. It has come in handy a couple of times.

I did something along these lines. I installed a single circuit transfer switch. It has come in handy a couple of times.

Its the easiest to go.. press start on the generator, plug it into the house, hit the transfer swich and your going.. the past 5 years have been better as they have upgraded the poles and wires out here. We still louse power every so often.. its so much better and easier this way..