Identification and options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigMuddyFire

Nov 3, 2018
MO
i have been a lurker for some time, but first time poster. Purchased a house which was built in the early 2000's a few years ago with what I believe to be a Heatilator type fireplace. The main floor of the house is approx. 1700 sq ft, with a equal size basement that is rarely used. The fireplace does an excellent job of heating the house as well as an excellent job of eating firewood. It seems to keep the fire going it requires 3 or 4 splits every hour or so. And unless you put a piece of hedge in it late at night, there is no hope of even having warm coals in the morning.

I guess what brings me here is I am looking for options to replace the fireplace with more efficient wood burner. My main goals would be something that could achieve somewhat of an overnight burn and a more controllable heat output. I currently use the fireplace as a secondary heat source. But would like to use it more as a primary heat source when I am around.

Thank you

Attachments

• Identification and options
    IMG_0329.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Identification and options
    IMG_0330.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 116
Your going to have to at least get SOME kind of measurements to even go looking.

I may need to draw a picture, but until I get that done.

Door opening: 32" wide
18 3/4 high

All below measurements to inside door

Fire box: 26" deep at the bottom
19 3/4 " deep at top
34" wide at front
24" wide at the back
12" high in the back were start sloping forward
10 " from front were the sides start sloping in

I think the chimney is about 15' tall, but will need to verify.

Is there an identifying tag in the doorframe?

Talked to a guy who helped brick the house, he thinks it's a New Air. If so, can a insert be installed in it or will it need to be taken out first.

It may need to be removed. When you look up at the damper area is there a straight shot up the flue or are there heat tubes in the way? You could also check with New-Aire.
http://newaire.com/contact.htm