Ideas for a temporary (one season) hearth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SOH

Sep 24, 2015
Michigan
Hi all!

I have a 2003 QuadraFire 3100 ACT that I am planning to use to heat this year. This stove will go into a 90 degree corner (standard 2x4 exterior walls), on top of fir flooring which rests directly on joists. I need for this hearth arrangement to be temporary so that I can remove it next year and continue with foundation leveling, floor refinishing, etc. -- and to build a proper hearth.

The label on my stove says that the minimum requirement for floor protection is 3/8" non-combustible material. I don't care at all about aesthetics at this point. I need for it to be inexpensive, sturdy, and safe.

My idea, based mostly on what I've read here:

2x4 frame (with ample air spaces) built to fit the corner and provide sufficient side/back/front clearances. Secure frame to existing floor. 3/4 plywood on top of frame for strength. 1/2 inch Durock (or maybe two sheets) or similar on top of that. Then the stove.

Is that sufficient? If not, I could tile the Durock deck with something inexpensive and trash it next year but I'd rather not. For the walls I am planning full-height Durock with 1" or more ceramic spacers off the studs.

Any ideas? Do's and don'ts?

Thanks!

Your r vakue starts with the durock on the pkywood sheet. The airspace provided by the 2x4 doesnt count towards your r value.

Do you need r value or just ember protection?

from the manual: FLOOR PROTECTION: Floor protector must be noncombustible material, extending beneath heater and to the front/sides/rear as indicated. The floor must be non-combustible or otherwise adequately protected from radiant heat given off by the unit and from sparks and falling embers. A layer of thin brick or ceramic tile over a combustible floor is not sufficient. In US installations, it is necessary to install a floor protector of 3/8" (10mm) thick metal clad millboard or equivalent at least 16" (406mm) in front of glass door and 8" (203mm) to both sides of the fuel loading door. Open the door and measure 8” (203mm) from the side edge of the opening in the face of the stove.

millboard is asbestos so you're not going to find that, that being said 3/8 millboard would have an R value of around .44 so anything from this link https://chimneysweeponline.com/horvalue.htm that adds up to over .44 would be fine

Reactions: Old School
A couple pieces of Duroc should give you that r value and be cheap enough to throw away without grief.

Thank you all very much.

It's interesting that the manual mentions metal-clad millboard but the label on the stove says only 3/8 (or greater) non-combustible. In either case I'll shoot for getting above that r value with Durock or similar. If the sheets are in decent shape next summer, I'll use them in the hearth build.

Much appreciated!

from the manual: FLOOR PROTECTION: Floor protector must be noncombustible material, extending beneath heater and to the front/sides/rear as indicated. The floor must be non-combustible or otherwise adequately protected from radiant heat given off by the unit and from sparks and falling embers. A layer of thin brick or ceramic tile over a combustible floor is not sufficient. In US installations, it is necessary to install a floor protector of 3/8" (10mm) thick metal clad millboard or equivalent at least 16" (406mm) in front of glass door and 8" (203mm) to both sides of the fuel loading door. Open the door and measure 8” (203mm) from the side edge of the opening in the face of the stove.

millboard is asbestos so you're not going to find that, that being said 3/8 millboard would have an R value of around .44 so anything from this link https://chimneysweeponline.com/horvalue.htm that adds up to over .44 would be fine

Thanks for taking the time to look at the manual and send the link!

not a problem at all, i've learned a lot from this site nice to be able to contribute, enjoy the warmth

Status
Not open for further replies.