ID : Red Oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jrems

Feeling the Heat
Oct 24, 2013
Danbury CT
www.epichomebrew.com
Just got about 2/3 a cord of this just delivered from a local arborist that I fixed some saws for. For some reason in the picture it doesn’t look very red but in person it’s noticeably red. ID threw me off since it doesnt have bark. I think this was standing dead for quite awhile, just the very outside where the bark was it is slightly punky but all the heart wood is solid. It also threw me off because it seems light for oak but the wettest piece when split is 15% , I’m pretty sure it’s red oak but just wanted confirmation. I never had oak just split this dry
34796FFF-C9D4-4589-A6EC-42670A2CD2CB.jpeg

Give us a closeup of the end grain. White oak can be red and red oak can be white. I would normally say to just smell it, but if you've never had oak before, I guess that doesn't work. :)

Wood has a sweet smell. Need to find a piece tomorrow that shows good end grain. Might need to use the chop saw to get a clean cut on the end grain. The saw marks on the ends are really rough and it’s hard to see.

Guessing it's not red. I'm truly no expert.

I got a gifted red and the dead portion split quite easily with a solid hit
from the Fiskie. The grain on both the green and dead was rougher,
more like small cords or cables smooshed together. It had a wavy and bumpy
surface in the split faces. It didn't have the smooth face I'm seeing in the pics.
That is the only experience I have to go on, and my wood smelled like a
livestock barn when split. The kids thought it was dog poop nearby. lol

Edit: After looking and studying it this time it could well be red, but I'm thinking another
member of the oak family, all of which are good anyhoo.

Based on all your info given so far I'm saying black cherry. Finding a sweet smelling red oak with only punky bark, no internal rot and that dry would be a find indeed. However, that sounds like the cherry I get readily. Ray flecks in the grain look like cherry too. And end grain shot would confirm oak, red or white. Either way, superb score!

second vote for cherry - very similar to some I grabbed for my smoker. End grain would definitely be a plus for ID

It's Black Cherry.

Reactions: Pellet_Pete
I would lean towards cherry as well.

Give us a closeup of the end grain. White oak can be red and red oak can be white. I would normally say to just smell it, but if you've never had oak before, I guess that doesn't work. :)

I agree.

End grain photo whould help to confirm species. Oak should be easy to ID by scent. Split or saw a piece and have a sniff. If it smells like oak boards in your nearest lumber supplier, then you know it's oak

Cherry...sweet smell confirms it...red oak is not sweet smelling and can border on smelling like vomit. Red oak usually has a band of white before the bark too.

Maybe its just me but I like the smell of red oak. It's kind of like a strong sweet vinegary smell.

I like the smell of red oak, too. If it's a healthy red oak, it smells like an old farmhouse that just had it's oak floors sanded. Wonderful!

On the other hand, I'll sometimes run into one that smells like a cow pasture, but that's usually a pin oak with a little fungus infection.

+1 vote for liking the smell of red oak--it's one of my favorite smells. I consider it sweet & a lot like fermented fruit. But I agree that the wood pictured above doesn't look like red oak.

Definitely not red oak.....

I'm also thinking cherry. If it splits real easy and looks like that, should be cherry.