IBC tote solar kiln

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 25, 2023
Cady, WI
All right guys just got done constructing my kiln and wanted to give a little breakdown of how things are looking at the start. Big thanks to @Woodsplitter67 for a bit of guidance on the build.

So I first started out making a angled frame to hold the top plastic. I decided to do this as opposed to mounting up wood because I wanted to ensure that as the wood settled it wouldn't create any puddling and wanted to get myself the best chance of success. Frame is very basic I'm lucky enough to have a second hand lumber store near me so each Kiln cost about four dollars in lumber.
20240630_135318.jpg
when ordering the poly I made a mistake and did not get enough to cover all four sides and roof so I ended up covering the roof and two sides that get the most sun and plastic wrapping the other two sides.
20240630_135947.jpg

Venting was achieved at each side of the kiln and is adjustable based on temperatures.
20240630_133654.jpg

Here's the finished product when all said and done.
20240630_133355.jpg

I took two separate temperature readings today with an ambient temperature of 69°, the top of the Kiln was measuring around 125° to 130° and about halfway down was measuring right around 105. Most of the wood in this Kiln is Oak in two totes and Maple in one so I'm planning on leaving it for at least 60 days potentially 70-90 for the oak as it was pretty wet when I cut it in May and only had two months to dry out prior to the kiln. I will update in this thread my results.

Screenshot_20240630_140743_SensorPush.jpg

IBC tote solar kiln

Reactions: EbS-P