I was wrong. Fisher teddy bear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DaveNY49

Jun 3, 2024
New York
Hello again

Yesterday I made my first post about the fisher Goldilocks I’m buying. After some chatting with folks here I realize I’m actually getting a Teddy Bear. If anyone has one and has any opinions to share I’d love to learn. I do have one question for starters. The Goldilocks manual recommended a pile straight up through the roof. I think do to how it took in air. Does the Teddy Bear need to follow the same set up? Any room for 40s. Or a 90?

I also read it takes a 7 inch pipe. Do they still make them? I never see them. Can a 6 work if I use an adapter?

Hello again

Yesterday I made my first post about the fisher Goldilocks I’m buying. After some chatting with folks here I realize I’m actually getting a Teddy Bear. If anyone has one and has any opinions to share I’d love to learn. I do have one question for starters. The Goldilocks manual recommended a pile straight up through the roof. I think do to how it took in air. Does the Teddy Bear need to follow the same set up? Any room for 40s. Or a 90?

I also read it takes a 7 inch pipe. Do they still make them? I never see them. Can a 6 work if I use an adapter?
Well first how tall and what type of chimney do you have?

My current stoves run 6 inch inside the home and go out the wall where they connect to double wall that goes 3 feet above the roof outside. I think I have 7-8 feet of pipe. I’m in a one story home so don’t need a time of pipe. Fantastic draw with my current pile set up. Perfect actually never any draw issues. I don’t mind if I have to go through the roof but would rather go out my wall. Just didn’t see anyplace local selling 7 inch of anything. Have to order it all online. Was wondering if I got the fitting to the stove right could I adapt to a 6? Would that one inch make a difference?

Thanks B

My current stoves run 6 inch inside the home and go out the wall where they connect to double wall that goes 3 feet above the roof outside. I think I have 7-8 feet of pipe. I’m in a one story home so don’t need a time of pipe. Fantastic draw with my current pile set up. Perfect actually never any draw issues. I don’t mind if I have to go through the roof but would rather go out my wall. Just didn’t see anyplace local selling 7 inch of anything. Have to order it all online. Was wondering if I got the fitting to the stove right could I adapt to a 6? Would that one inch make a difference?

Thanks B
Double wall insulated chimney through the wall and outside right?

Single wall black stove pipe going from the stove to the wall where it connects to a double wall (class A) thimble and double wall (class A) outside.

Single wall black stove pipe going from the stove to the wall where it connects to a double wall (class A) thimble and double wall (class A) outside.
Good just double checking. With your low height I wouldn't run through the wall. 6 may be ok but it's questionable

Ok I’ll look into other woodstove forums and fb just to get more opinions. As far as the pipes I get such fantastic draw now i hate to change it. But we will see. I’m swapping out my stoves and getting new (used) ones so maybe they will act differently. Thanks B

Ok I’ll look into other woodstove forums and fb just to get more opinions. As far as the pipes I get such fantastic draw now i hate to change it. But we will see. I’m swapping out my stoves and getting new (used) ones so maybe they will act differently. Thanks B
More opinions than a Certified sweep? I don’t think so.

Do you have pictures of this stove with the doors open? The tag? Can you find out what the outlet measures?

Yes Coaly…more opinions than a sweep. I don’t doubt a sweeps many years of knowledge but if it’s one thing I’ve learned is that you can get good opinions from many different woodstove burners. Being a sweep doesn’t make you the “only” man with good knowledge to share. Hell, bholler literally just said he “would not run through a wall” and I’m saying that my through the wall set up draws amazing. Sometimes there can be two truths. Plus sometimes professional sweepers and installers let their knowledge go to their head. I don’t believe you or B do. But it is common. If every person with a woodstove did or didn’t do what every sweep recommend the homesteaders 100 miles out in Alaska with an old woodstove running single wall inside and out because it’s light weight for the plane ride into the bush wouldn’t use a stove. Is it the best choice? No but it can and does happen. You are VERY helpful and wise. But there may possibly be other opinions out there. Regardless…..I’m greatfull for all of you and B’s help. You guys know your stuff.

But then again, if you want all possible opinions, why even ask? How's it going to help...?

I think a more useful approach would be to find the best expert without skin in the game, get their advice, and follow it.

Given your admitted lack of expertise, what is going to be the criterium based on which you know you're making the right decision in discarding the advice you got from someone you trusted was expert enough to ask...?

Why even ask at that point...

Ok I’ll look into other woodstove forums and fb just to get more opinions
;lol

Good luck man!

bholler literally just said he “would not run through a wall” and I’m saying that my through the wall set up draws amazing.
But straight up will always be better.

Yes Coaly…more opinions than a sweep. I don’t doubt a sweeps many years of knowledge but if it’s one thing I’ve learned is that you can get good opinions from many different woodstove burners. Being a sweep doesn’t make you the “only” man with good knowledge to share. Hell, bholler literally just said he “would not run through a wall” and I’m saying that my through the wall set up draws amazing. Sometimes there can be two truths. Plus sometimes professional sweepers and installers let their knowledge go to their head. I don’t believe you or B do. But it is common. If every person with a woodstove did or didn’t do what every sweep recommend the homesteaders 100 miles out in Alaska with an old woodstove running single wall inside and out because it’s light weight for the plane ride into the bush wouldn’t use a stove. Is it the best choice? No but it can and does happen. You are VERY helpful and wise. But there may possibly be other opinions out there. Regardless…..I’m greatfull for all of you and B’s help. You guys know your stuff.
Ok I didn't say I would never go through the wall I do it all the time. My chimney which is masonry goes through the wall. What I said was I wouldn't do it with the height of your chimney with that stove. Take my advice or not. It doesn't bother me onecway or another. But know that my advice comes from years of working on and fixing problems with thousands of stoves and chimneys