I want to get a BK...I think

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

H2OBoy

Oct 1, 2019
First, what an amazing resource this forum is. Have been reading for the past several weeks, sucking up all the great info here, but feels a bit like drinking from a fire hose.

I think I want to buy a BK Sirocco 25. Why? 1. Wife likes the way it looks (she wants to see as much into the box as possible), 2. like the temperature control ability of the BKs, 3. Wife likes more of the flush rather than the stove look, 4. Like the long burn capability, 5. most people on this forum have positive things to say about them, 5. and a few other things driving this way.

Here's my setup, weekend log cabin in Lassen National Forest (northern CA), 1350 sf two stories, have oil heat as primary downstairs, electric in-wall heat upstairs in bedrooms, looking for cheaper heat source than oil/electric, like using a fireplace during 3 seasons we need heat and are hanging indoors, also have potential for power outages (probably low frequency), and current fireplace is not serviceable for open flame without an insert.

I feel comfortable installing the flue and cap myself, could also consider installing the insert myself, though have some concerns about moving and installing a 400 pound beast, and sealing the surround to a non-flat stone surface.

Appreciate thoughts/concerns on my situation, setup, and proposed BK insert. Also know it's an expensive way to go, though dont have quotes yet.

The insert really needs to be installed at the same time as the liner.

I was in the same situation as you 2 weeks ago, last week I pulled the trigger on a BK Princess insert. Let me offer my thoughts.

I have a 2,800 sf colonial in the Mid Atlantic states. I wanted to go with as much wood heat to reduce my propane and electric use. First thing I did was secure 4 cords of wood last May and cut and spit and stack to season for use this year. Checked a split yesterday and it appears I am in the 18% range (woot). Get your wood cut now and figure you wont burn it this year, wet wood is a no no.

Wife wanted a Sirocco 25 for the larger glass. It would fit into my exterior brick fireplace. I liked that model a lot. I ended buying a Princess. Price was about the same but the Princess offered me several advantages. First off the glass is smaller, but not that much smaller and I am sure we will get used to it. I expect to burn long and slow which will surely get the glass black thereby negating the ambience. So the viewing glass size seems like a nice factor, in my situation it really did not matter long term

Second, the Princess sticks out about 8 inches but has the benefit of some convective heating (the kind that radiates off the unit rather than using the fan to move the heat around the house). Nice if you have the insert in a family room and have guests over, you can turn off the fan yet still keep the room warm with that feature.

Princess stove is not as deep as the Sirocco in the firebox, that might make an installation easier in your case. I too will be installing my own liner and cap (30' high chimney ughhhh). I hesitate to post costs in an open forum, you can PM me if you want some idea of what I am paying.

Yes the BK is expensive and not everyone wants a cat, I am attracted to the 7am/7pm load cycles and 24/7 constant heat. If it gets too cold, fossil fuels to make up the difference. You don't need to seal the shroud to the stone, shrouds are for décor only. Block off plate and insulation do what you are thinking of. Its 350lbs, me and my 2 sons were able to move a 900lb piano on a dolly up steps with no problem. You can figure it out.

Reactions: Highbeam
I have not been as impressed with the 25 inserts as I am with the regular princess insert. The princess is more like the stove with an actual cat temperature gauge, traditional cat system, and long burn times. The 25 is new and the reports for performance and maintenance are not as good.

The 25 inserts do have that cool flue connection that happens from the inside.

The princess has a well earned reputation as a good heater. Not quite as good as the freestanding princess but almost as good.

Could you elaborate on the performance and maintenance issues reported? I’ve read a lot but haven’t seen much bad, maybe a smoke spillage issue, but I think that was resolved with chimney.

Could you elaborate on the performance and maintenance issues reported? I’ve read a lot but haven’t seen much bad, maybe a smoke spillage issue, but I think that was resolved with chimney.
I haven’t heard anything negative about the 25 box stoves performance. What I have heard, which is a bit of a negative, is that the firebox tapers 6” in width from front to back. So, if you want to load north/south, you need to cut your wood to ~16 inches and just stack to the width of the back of the firebox. Or if you want to try to get a bit more wood in there north south you either cut to the width at the back of the box, or random lengths of 18” +/- 3”, which would kill anyone as OCD as me.

This is a total non-issue for the casual burner, but it is more limiting if your goal is maximum heat for maximum burn time.

It might have just been growing pains. It's a small stove (for a cat stove)at just 2.3 cubic feet even if it was all usable. Seems folks had a really hard time slowing the burn down for longer burn times. The test results aren't bad. Has that odd cat meter that's actually just an idiot light.

Reactions: Ashful
I only asked bc my Ashford 25insert was installed yesterday. It’s going to take getting used to. Is like 60 and raining. I filled stove before work, wife texted me no fire but cat is in the red. I told her it’s working , we just have to get used to how it operates. Thanks for replying

In my first few days with the Ashford 30, I came home from work a few times with a still mostly-full firebox that was dead and black, almost 24 hours into the burn. I remember thinking it had just died, until I turned up the knob and saw instant flames. Now I just check the cat probe and smile.

Reactions: Highbeam
In my first few days with the Ashford 30, I came home from work a few times with a still mostly-full firebox that was dead and black, almost 24 hours into the burn. I remember thinking it had just died, until I turned up the knob and saw instant flames. Now I just check the cat probe and smile.

Yeah, on low the PI kind of simmers the wood into heat. There's no smoke and no flames, but the wood goes away and the house stays warm. :) After 4 years it's still odd to me sometimes (but I grew up heating with old timey stoves and open fireplaces).

People who have never seen one complain that they want flames. If you want flames, turn the knob slightly. Black box operation is an option. (Though it is an option that you will definitely use, because 24 hours on one load is the best 4 months out of the year.)

I remember my wife (who also had a wood stove as a child) gritting her teeth when I wanted to switch to wood heat. She foresaw getting up at 3 AM to load the stove, banking coals, loading four times a day, coming home to a 40 degree house because we both work.... and then none of that came to pass. She says, "I never have to touch it and it's just 70 in here all l the time. " That's a win!

Last edited:
Reactions: Highbeam and Ashful
The thermostat opening and closing is a really odd feeling too for those used to a traditional wood stove. We'll be sitting there warm with a dark window and then all of the sudden the coals brighten up, sparks jump, and sometimes a whiff of flame as the stove opens it's own intake control.