I think this quote is high. What do you think?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

McGlue

Jun 21, 2022
South Carolina
I recently got a quote for a Sirocco 25, repairs, and a new cap. It seems very high, but I don't have a lot of experience with inserts and insert installs. Can I get some guidance? The Exterior Maintenance Total includes the custom cap and install.

I recently got a quote for a Sirocco 25, repairs, and a new cap. It seems very high, but I don't have a lot of experience with inserts and insert installs. Can I get some guidance? The Exterior Maintenance Total includes the custom cap and install.

View attachment 296424
What the exterior Maintenance?

2018 my labor charge was 1200$ for an easy stove install. Clean knockout damper assembly, drop liner, install and hook up to stove.

It’s a top of the line insert, it’s a whole days job. It’s probably on the high side but I don’t see it as a complete ripoff. If they have a really good reputation the 1000$ you could save just isn’t woth a hacked up install in my opinion . Tax credit will get you 20 whatever % back.

What part of SC are you in? Any skilled labor here by the coast is really expensive.

Reactions: Sparkey127
OMG, that stove costs as much as the instal!

If skilled tradesmen are in as much demand as they are up here, be happy with it and be thrilled if you can get it installed before October.

Remember to get your wood up now. You’re going to need dry wood. Not what the firewood dealer thinks of as dry.

Yellow pine stacked now under cover will be ready to go in December as long as you keep the rain of.

Is $4,600 for a Sirocco 25 normal?

Just heard somebody excited that they locked oil in at the $6.30ish range. I imagine it’s going to be more and more normal for stoves to be higher priced.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Is $4,600 for a Sirocco 25 normal?
I don’t know if it’s totally normal, but it’s certainly not unheard of. Inserts tend to be more expensive than freestanding stoves. Blaze Kings are pricey, especially on the east coast. I got quotes back in 2017 for a Princess Insert that were upwards of $4,000 and quotes for free standers in 2018 in Texas that were in that same range. That was before COVID and supply chain issues, rising transportation costs, inflation, oil prices rising, and all that stuff. It does also qualify for the tax credit.

Reactions: SpaceBus
The stove price is astronomical. Appliance Sale?

I work with someone who tracks the gas markets in New England (Mass specifically) if someone wants to buy a contract for gas next winter its $30 to hedge 1 MM BTU (currently at $6 and was $2 not that long ago https://www.macrotrends.net/2478/natural-gas-prices-historical-chart ). With futures like that many people are going to pay a lot of money to put in wood and to lesser extent coal burning appliances. There are not that many installers so its supply and demand on the good ones and probably a lot of hacks will be getting in the game. My guess is the prices will only go up.

I guess everything's been going up, but I paid $2800/ea for a pair of BK Ashford 30's in spring 2015, and always figured on labor around $500/man/day. I'm sure those numbers are out of date, but either way, your quote looks high to me.

My price included delivery to my hearth, but not hookup, and there was discount for buying two at a time.

Last edited:
Point of reference I believe, and don’t hold me to it, that the Drolet 1800i was right around 1100$ in 2020. Now it’s $1600
https://www.drolet.ca/us/en/wood-inserts/db03125/

SC has one BK dealer. Fuel cost are way up. It’s high but down south there is just not much competition. Mountain areas are very developed with lots of higher end vacation homes as are the coats. Couple that with not many choices for reputable retailers/installers I’m not surprised by the quote.

There are cheaper inserts that one could choose. Labor won’t change, unless you DIY it.

Maybe pay for the labor on the liner/chimney/exterior work and install/connect the insert yourself?

Just for comparison, I had a Princess insert installed in January. The stove itself was $4,100. With install, I paid $6,200, which included stove, liner and labor l. My chimney did not require exterior maintenance, and I only had a 4 hr labor charge. That, plus $400 more for the Sirocco, so there's $2,700 difference right there. I only paid about $80/ft for liner, but other than that, based on my recent experience, it doesn't seem terribly far off.

Reactions: spudman99
The 26% federal tax credit requires the installation to be complete by 12/31/2022. If not, it drops to 22%. The tax language is clear on this.