I think I need a new stove - help jotul firelight can't be fixed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jsb

Mar 29, 2012
North Central Ct
A couple of days ago I posted a search for a damper frame for my 1996 jotul firelight 12. After search high and low I have not been able to find one so I am being forced to look at a new stove. I need a replacement for the firelight. I am just starting the search but need to act pretty quickly as I will need heat soon.
Currently I am looking at the jotul rangley and the quadra-fire mainly because they are both top loading and will meet or exceed my needs which were met by the firelight 12.
Just an aside -- Has anyone ever straightened a damper frame,mine is warped on the bottom along the side where the damper pivots from, there is about 1/2" of space when damper is closed. Any help would be appreciated.
I think I need a new stove - help jotul firelight can't be fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was running Firelight 12’s, I kept a spare stove for parts. This makes it a poor stove for someone who needs to rely on it, unless you already have said spare stove.

I’d not make top loading a requirement, unless you have some specific reason for it (medical condition?). It adds a likely failure point, and really adds no functionality to the stove. For all we know, the over-firing that lead to your warped damper was from a leaky top door gasket, they tend to do that.

If you want horsepower for cheap, check the Englander 30-NC. Lots of satisfied 30-NC owners, on this forum. If you want looks to go with that, and you’re on a budget, things get tougher. Used Firelight 600’s aren’t exactly plentiful, around here. VC’s turn up, but I wouldn’t put one on my house, there’s usually a reason they’re being sold.

Truth is, not many folks get rid of newer stoves in good condition, if they work well. And any other older stove is going to present the same problem as your old Firelight 12: parts availability.

Located a new Damper frame from "The Chimney Sweep" of shelburne VT. Thank you Jason. Now I'm getting ready to reassemble going through what I call "dry fits" where I am cutting and placing gaskets where I believe they belong. When I removed the top I didn't pay close enough attention and I don't remember from my last rebuild in 2012.
I am including 2 pics of possible placement of the gasket. It is in the area where the foot pedal assembly cover meets the top. If someone knows where it goes it would be appreciated. Is it the first, the second or a combination of the two?
I think I need a new stove - help jotul firelight can't be fixed. I think I need a new stove - help jotul firelight can't be fixed.

Your second photo is correct, if I recall correctly. Done a few of those, but it’s been several years.

I hope it works out for you. I had a beautiful Firelight 12, loved the foot pedal with an armload of wood. It basically wore out after 20 years and I didn't/couldn't get parts to fix it. I purchased a Quad Isle Royale That has a top opening as well as the front. l have ended up loading through the front 99% of the time. It is the only way to get the stove truly full.
Hope you can get yours working well !!