I think I killed my cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RandyBoBandy

Minister of Fire
Feb 25, 2015
Whitmore lake, MI
so I took advantage of a warm day yesterday and cleaned my stove and checked gaskets and such. I pulled the cat out and ran a Q tip through the holes to get all the ash off. Well, started a fire tonight and closed the damper and now the cat temps won't go above 520 degrees. Any thoughts?

Is there a gasket around the cat? Is it intact and correctly in place?

It's on an encore 2250. The refractory box is in rough shape but the cat is still snug in there. There is no gasket that goes around it.

Maybe refractory is breaking down and there is leakage? Is there smoke coming out of the chimney?

I do have some smoke coming out of the chimney. I did last year too. But up until cleaning the stove yesterday I had no problem getting the cat to light off.

So I opened the damper and let the flames pick back up and closed the damper again and I think we have lift off. Just passed 1000*. I think it's time to stop being lazy and install a new refractory box.