I think I can I think I can.....I....can't?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

greenacresman3398

Hearth Supporter
Oct 5, 2009
My dream is to put the HI300 in a factory built fireplace.

1. Manufacturer says fireplace must meet UL 127..... check
2. manufacturer says flue must meet UL 1777... check (once I put a liner in my ex 8" flue)
3. Manufacturer says i need a 21.5" opening..... umm how about 21'ish??? Does anyone have the actual hieght of the unit "behind" the faceplate? The side profile in the manual makes the part of the unit behind the faceplate look about 1" or so shorter than the front of the unit. i'd take a measurement myself but nn one around here has one in stock so I'll have to wait until i can get someone on the phone and take an actual measurement
4. I'm also confused if I can remove the top smoke block that encases the damper lever in the ZC fireplace. It seems I would have to remove this part anyhow just to get the damper lever out, right? Do installers just cut this damper lever off? Or do you take this all apart to get the damper lever out somehow?? see picture

I will also be using a Flue offset adaptor becuase my flue won't match up with the HI300, Does anyone know the EXACT dimensions of those things? Its seems some are taller than others, and I need ever inch i can get. So i need the slimmest one ;)

Thanks,

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] I think I can I think I can.....I....can't?
    P1000647.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 649
    P1000648.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 664
At my shop we flat out refuse to do inserts into prefabs, it just does not work. The only ones who promote that those installs work are the mfg that do not do the work in real life.

Not sure where you're from, but if your near Central NY we have one of these in stock still, and you're welcome to come measure it. We install 30-40 wood burning inserts a year into prefab fireplaces. As long as the measurements work and the clearances are safe. I have to say, normally we would look to put something smaller into a prefab. You also shouldnt take out any more metal than you already have. The damper can be removed without doing any more butchering. I would truly suggest having an NFI Certified technician come out and site check, then install the fireplace insert for you.

I appreciate the responses, yeah I know its a little large for a prefab, but I figured if it would stuff in there without metal fab I would be ok. I'm having two shops come out tomorrow to take measurements, we will see.

Here's a pic of the side of the HI300 and inserted into fireplace. This fireplace is 25" to the lentel. This left about 4" of room for the installer to get his hands in there to attach the liner. If you are 21 ish, that's going to be too close. There's no way an installer could get his hands in there to attach the liner to the stove. Are saying 21 ish to the metal prefab or to the brick. Can you remove the prefab? What's behind that?

Attachments

hi300 side.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 454
    stove in fp1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 443
stejus said:
Here's a pic of the side of the HI300 and inserted into fireplace. This fireplace is 25" to the lentel. This left about 4" of room for the installer to get his hands in there to attach the liner. If you are 21 ish, that's going to be too close. There's no way an installer could get his hands in there to attach the liner to the stove. Are saying 21 ish to the metal prefab or to the brick. Can you remove the prefab? What's behind that?

Thanks for the pictures! Well, its 21ish" at the front of the existing fireplace, but it goes up from there. There is actually about 24" from the bottom to the flue opening. thats why every little bit helps... If the unit is 21" high, plus 2" for the flue offset = 23", that gives me a whole 1"" of play to slide the insert in and drop the flue offset in the collar :)

can you fit both hands up to the forearm through a 1" opening.............................................................

No, I can't...the dealer that I spoke to said i can pull it down from inside the insert, having the offset flue adapter already attached to the ss liner, then he would be pushing the unit in and "helping" the offset adapter fall in to place. soundsed plausable if it actaully fits....

And if after 3 hrs of trying the stove does not fit, do you own the stove? if the dealer takes it back do you pay him for 3-4 hrs of labor?? This is why we don't do these too big a can of worms. In the end the only one who is happy is the guy selling band-aids

ss="spellchecked_word">greenacresman3398</SPAN> said:
No, I can't...the dealer that I spoke to said i can pull it down from inside the insert, having the offset flue adapter already attached to the ss liner, then he would be pushing the unit in and "helping" the offset adapter fall in to place. soundsed plausable if it actaully fits....

Hmmm. There's a bracket that gets screwed into the flue collar first. This is done before pushing the stove into the fireplace. Then you push the stove into position. Then the liner gets inserted into the bracket and you screw from outside the bracket into the liner. I can see him pulling from inside the stove, but I can't see how he will be able to screw the liner to the bracket :question:

Well, we shall see. If all else fails I;ll have to settle for a smaller stove. My backup plan was the hi200 but that looks like a really small firebox. I really like the style of the Jotul and the hampton, but the small Jotul and hamton just don't seem to list the BTU's that the Lopi's put out....any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.