I Need some help with my install.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

DanUsan

Sep 6, 2024
joppa,md
I recently purchased a old breckwell p23i and im looking to install it into my basement. Since its in the basement and not my main heat sorce im going to give installing it myselft a whirl im a mechanic by trade and do woodcraft for fun so im very handy. i do have experiance with pellets stoves as I have harmon p35i on my first level but that is a different beast and was proffesionally installed. My question is from the bottom to the top i have 25' of distance im guessing i need a 30' liner ? My other questions are should i install a tee and do i need to add extra length to the liner for when i pull the stove out for deep cleaning??

Are you hooking this to a chimney? I don't see mention of that anywhere but that is the only place you would need a liner. Just figured I'd put it out there for clarification purposes before others with knowledge of that sort of install come on line.

Are you hooking this to a chimney? I don't see mention of that anywhere but that is the only place you would need a liner. Just figured I'd put it out there for clarification purposes before others with knowledge of that sort of install come on line.
Yes 🤦🏻‍♂️ I guess I forgot to mention it’s an insert the liner is going in a terra-cotta lined chimney.

this is an insert going in a full masonry fireplace correct?

I guess how you hookup depends on the amount of space and clearance. The manual shows liner connected directly to unit but if I had the space I’d like a T or an elbow at least. Seem like putting that bend in the liner to be directly connected might be difficult or cause issues if it kinks/collapses.

I guess how you hookup depends on the amount of space and clearance. The manual shows liner connected directly to unit but if I had the space I’d like a T or an elbow at least. Seem like putting that bend in the liner to be directly connected might be difficult or cause issues if it kinks/collapses.

Yes it is. I did see in the manual it goes straight to it without a tee. I guess what my real question boils down is to. Is spending a extra $200 to go from a 25’ to a 30’ I’m sure the tee will add almost a extra foot but will that be enough slack for me to pull it out to service it.

Where are you ordering liner from. Looks like 60$ diffence from Rockford.

IMG_1929.png

My estimate would be add the horizontal pullout distance to the vertical. Do you have a straight shot up or are there offsets?

Hello
The best way is to use a 4 inch diameter 30 foot liner with a Duravent increaser T with a 3” stove adapter connection to a 4” cleanout T and a 4 inch diameter flex adapter. If the exhaust connection is very close to the bottom then what I do is rotate the cleanout T so it does not hit the floor. Then before you bolt the flex liner into the flex adapter coat it with high temperature clear silicone and then wrap the connection with high temperature self stick foil tape to prevent any smoke from leaking out. The. Remove the cleanout cap and coat that with never seez so when you clean the liner next year you will be able to get the cleanout cap off easily and pit the cleaning rods up to the top. :) A little easier than climbing on the roof. :)
This insert is different than the Harman that does not need a cleanout T because it does not have a frame with a flex liner connection. :)

Hello
The best way is to use a 4 inch diameter 30 foot liner with a Duravent increaser T with a 3” stove adapter connection to a 4” cleanout T and a 4 inch diameter flex adapter. If the exhaust connection is very close to the bottom then what I do is rotate the cleanout T so it does not hit the floor. Then before you bolt the flex liner into the flex adapter coat it with high temperature clear silicone and then wrap the connection with high temperature self stick foil tape to prevent any smoke from leaking out. The. Remove the cleanout cap and coat that with never seez so when you clean the liner next year you will be able to get the cleanout cap off easily and pit the cleaning rods up to the top. :) A little easier than climbing on the roof. :)
This insert is different than the Harman that does not need a cleanout T because it does not have a frame with a flex liner connection. :)
My hook up is very close to the bottom like maybe an inch. I doubt I’d be able to angle the tee. But guess I can take more measurements and moke something up.

My hook up is very close to the bottom like maybe an inch. I doubt I’d be able to angle the tee. But guess I can take more measurements and moke something up.
Hello
It is up to you, there was a case where I made the cleanout T just about horizontal so it did not hit the bottom and then put a 45 on top with the flex adapter on top of the 45. There was enough room behind the stove to do this and it did make it real easy to pull out the right corner of the stove and remove the cleanout cap and do the exhaust vent cleaning. You would have to check that there is enough room in the back of the fireplace to do this.
Pic shows a 4 " Cleanout T with 3" reducer adapter and a 45 deg elbow with 4" flex adapter to 4" liner.
IMG_4408.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: EbS-P
Hello
It is up to you, there was a case where I made the cleanout T just about horizontal so it did not hit the bottom and then put a 45 on top with the flex adapter on top of the 45. There was enough room behind the stove to do this and it did make it real easy to pull out the right corner of the stove and remove the cleanout cap and do the exhaust vent cleaning. You would have to check that there is enough room in the back of the fireplace to do this.
Pic shows a 4 " Cleanout T with 3" reducer adapter and a 45 deg elbow with 4" flex adapter to 4" liner.
View attachment 329653
Damn, that looks exactly like how my breckwell is. I wish that set up would work for me. Only problem with that is the way my chimney is set up the bend above dampener makes the liner come in on right side. Maybe I can do that just will have to come in from the left to clean. I’ll see if that can work this weekend. Thank you!

Reactions: Don2222