I Miss My Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
900 miles away from home now, and sitting in South Carolina like a fish outa water! I miss the quiet, the solitude of a warm fire in our stove, and the peace of just "being home." We're not even 3 days into our 2 week vacation and I'd rather be "home" (snow and all).

Stove "withdrawal." Amazing! Didn't know I would "miss" my stove!!

-Soupy1957

I hear ya, I would just rather stay at home any more, hang in there you will be home before you know it.

soupy1957 said:
I miss the quiet, the solitude of a warm fire in our stove, and the peace of just "being home." -Soupy1957

I feel this way frequently, but my boss still wants me to come in to work . . .

Enjoy your vacation my friend, the stove will be there when you return. I know the feeling of being home-stove sick though.

Heck Soupy I thought you had fallen back in love with the furnace a couple of weeks ago. :lol:

Enjoy the trip. Looks like it is in the seventies in Ft. Myers.

I can relate - we visited our son in mid-Wisconsin in November. His house temp was kept at 62 - couldn't wait to get home and get warm by our stove - BUT - what's the temp where you are?

I may have a chance to work in Florida this February for a month or so. Sounds like a sweet deal eh? For monetary reasons, yeah I want the deal to go through, but I'll miss my wife,my house and a month of Caveman TV (stove time)!!!! :gulp:

Soupy, know just how you feel. Seems as the years go on, I, too get that same feeling whenever I have to travel any distance from home. I believe that when all is well and secure around the home base, we tend to gravitate to the security of our little piece of the world. I believe alot of that centers around the fact that in the back of our minds we use this as a means to not have deal with alot of the stress that modern living has thrown on us.

I am just sitting here trying to get my head around having to go back to work tomorrow morning after enjoying a very peaceful and quiet 12 days off, spent with family and some close friends in a old fashioned style holiday period. Looking @ returning to the rat race is a downer for sure.

Enjoy your holiday, you'll be home sooner that you think.

Not to worry Soup. I'm in eastern CT and there's hardly any snow left. Two days of temps in the high 40's did the trick.

Can relate to the yearning for your stove. Was just away for two days and could not wait to get home. Missed the "warmth" of my own house.

Several times in years past coming back from a Christmas trip to visit family in Texas on the last leg of that 24 hour drive I would risk the speeding ticket to get back to light that sucker. Knowing we would be sleeping downstairs on the sectional by the stove that night while the house caught up.

Now I just stay home and call'em.

Not sure I have much sympathy. You haven't described the weather in SC. My mother used to live just a little south of Myrtle Beach (Garden City). When I was there in January, I did not miss northern temperatures or wood stoves. It was nice fishing out on the pier and almost (but not quite) warm enough for a dip in the ocean. Caveat: my grandfather was a polar bear club member in Wisconsin.

I too prefer staying home. I do not mind the tending of the stove nor do I mind going out to cut wood (I will this afternoon). Also with the price of gas going up again and again, staying home saves lots of dollars.

Still, make the most of the situation and enjoy the vacation Soupy.

You guys are nuts. When it comes to vacation time, I run out the door so fast that I don't even lock it. I like the escape from reality. Coming back to it is the part that bums me out. Too much going on in real life for my liking.

Maybe nuts Jags, but it is hard to beat home. Well, I do admit that if I had to live close to others then the situation would be different. But now I even hate to have to go to town or even to the little 4 corner store. I simply prefer back here in the woods. We live more like a lot of folks live when they are on vacation and we are also by ourselves. Even being by ourselves, we still love to just go walking in our woods. If we tire of that, we have several neighbor's wood we can walk in and be all by ourselves. There is a 40 on our north and an 80 on our south and about 700 acres of woods to our west so we can do a lot of wandering right out our back door.

Backwoods Savage said:
Maybe nuts Jags, but it is hard to beat home. Well, I do admit that if I had to live close to others then the situation would be different.

Well...I also have no neighbors to deal with, but I could become a professional traveler in a heart beat. I don't like heavily populated areas, so no city stuff, but there are tons of places that I would like to go.

Well, my wife and I used to own a nice motor home and did quite a bit of traveling and really enjoyed it. We too shied away from heavily populated areas. Even during the winter months we camped out in the desert near Yuma, AZ all by ourselves. Took daily walks out across the desert or up in the mountains. We had some good times but now enjoy staying home. We also did a lot of traveling last summer but it made us realize just how much we enjoy our home place.

Backwoods Savage said:
Maybe nuts Jags, but it is hard to beat home. Well, I do admit that if I had to live close to others then the situation would be different. But now I even hate to have to go to town or even to the little 4 corner store. I simply prefer back here in the woods. We live more like a lot of folks live when they are on vacation and we are also by ourselves. Even being by ourselves, we still love to just go walking in our woods. If we tire of that, we have several neighbor's wood we can walk in and be all by ourselves. There is a 40 on our north and an 80 on our south and about 700 acres of woods to our west so we can do a lot of wandering right out our back door.

Sounds like Heaven, and Amen!!!

You can have the travel Jags. For twenty years more often than not I flew out on Monday morning and came back Friday evening. I thought I would miss it. I do not.

Like Da Savage I don't even like going into town any more.

Only a week and a half left to go soupy, try and make the best of it.

I to like going home.

BrotherBart said:
You can have the travel Jags. For twenty years more often than not I flew out on Monday morning and came back Friday evening.

In a different life - I traveled quite a bit for work. Didn't like it at all. I prefer car travel while pulling my boat. Traveling to warm places that can entertain me with water, when its cold here, is good stuff for me.

Hello

Well just go outside in the yard and start a fire! That will make ya feel better. :-)

I love being home . . . but I also enjoy traveling . . . for the past couple years my wife and I have not been traveling south as we're saving up to go to Europe . . . but after that trip I hope to go back to making an annual winter pilgrimmage south to the Carribean at least once during the winter as it provides my snow and cold hating wife a bit of a respite.

I'm with you Jake and glad that I didn't have to travel for work. My BIL did this a lot and doesn't like to travel too much either. Personally, I love seeing new places and faces. My favorite way to travel is to stay in one place for a while, set up base and do excursions. We did India this way in 2004. Stayed for 2.5 months and had a great time. I'm itching to head out again now.

Not sure where you are in SC this week, but Charleston lists highs of mid-50s. I am envious. Think of your vacation as an opportunity to save wood for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.